Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"I thought I would never be able to do this again." He breathed moments later.

"Me either."I mumble into his chest.

"I can't believe how cruel Paylor is being, letting us see one another but not talk or touch."

"Do you think she has done it to everyone?" I ask.

"Most probably." He replies, though I can tell he even doubts his response. After this I wouldn't put it past her to do this to us and us alone. I lean back slightly and look up at him causing him to smile and lean down to kiss my forehead. We stand there just staring at each other for an immeasurable amount of time, neither if us wanting this moment to end, Peeta breaks the silence,

"What made you think about the roof?" Crap! Didn't think about that.

"I, don't really know. It sort of just came to me." I lied, dropping my gaze and talking into his chest preventing him from spotting my blatant lie.

"Well I'm glad it did, I was too consumed in my self-pity to even consider this." He pulled me closer and I found the courage to smile up at him and lightly brushed my lips to his.

"And there's me thinking that you were the logical one! I usually do things before thinking through the consequences." I chide in an attempt to make light of the situation. He laughs once before pulling me even closer.

"The centre is bugged, be careful what you discuss with Haymitch." I blurt out.

"How?" He begins to ask but I cut him off, I was on a roll now.

"I just do, please don't ask, I can't say. Just, trust me." I rush, I hated lying to him, not being able to tell him the full story. "I can explain all after the games. Please? I know how difficult it is after everything that's happened for you to just believe me and trust me." I all but beg as I begin to hyperventilate at the thought of him losing his mind with me.

"Shhh, It's OK." He sooths as he lifts a hand to my cheek, I lean into it and close my eyes just enjoying the feel of his fingers of my skin.

"I have a bit of a plan for the games." I whisper, my eyes still closed.

"What is it?" He asks, hope filling his voice.

"Assuming we are both in the same arena, which I guess we will be since they will be wanting us to find each other." I pause and take a shaky deep breath before continuing. "We will both find a river. There's usually only one right? I'm pretty sure you will recognise it." I add before slapping my hand over my mouth, he shouldn't be allowed to know that. He nods acknowledging my slip up and indicating that I should continue.

"If you follow it upstream and I follow it downstream we will have a fifty fifty chance of finding each other. We don't know how big the arena is, at least if we don't find each other we will both stand more of a chance at staying alive?" He takes my face in his hands and kisses me before pulling back with the stupidest grin on his face I had seen since the day he found out I was pregnant with Fin.

"I know you are hiding something from me, but I won't press it. I trust you." He adds before I have time to protest. "This could just work you know. If we can both at least make it to the final eight they will have to draw us together won't they? Bt I have a feeling you know exactly what's going on and that finding this river and following it will lead us to each other quickly, giving us the best possible chance of survival right?" I smile up at him once more at his quickness.

"Exactly, I don't know if we can full trust it but what other chance do we have? I will know if it was right as soon as we make it to the arena, OK?" This time it's his turn to smile, his perfect white smile, the smile that's only reserved for me.

"Finally I have something to look forward to, knowing I will see you again after this, that we will make it out and everything will be fine."

"We stand the best chance now." He repeats.

"I guess so." I agree.

"Katniss?" Peeta asks after a couple of moments.

"Hmm?" I answer lazily.

"Do you think they will have Mockingjays in the arena this time?" This time it's my turn to pull away from him and frown, where was he going with this train if thought?

"I don't know, it's plausible. I mean they have been in the past two arenas haven't they?" He absentmindedly nods in agreement clearly still deep in thought.

"We need a signal, a tune of some sorts..." He begins before pausing, locking my grey seam eyes with his wonderful deep blue merchant eyes and whistling a simple three note tune which I promptly repeat back at him. "We would be able to use it to let the other know where abouts we were, guide each other in the right direction." I playfully ruffle his hair.

"So you are the logical one after all! And there was me thinking our roles had reversed!"

"I was lulling you into a false sense of security." He laughs causing me to laugh, the first time in what felt like years. I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him down to my level though this backfires as he winds his arms behind my back before he straightens up lifting me off my feet. I begin to protest but my lips are suddenly occupied and all I can do is smile into the kiss. We break away and he sets me back on my feet without letting me go, I once again bury my head into his neck and smile.

"Our own Mockingjay tune." I muse, it seems that now our heads have had time to clear the great ideas seem to keep coming. For some strange reason I can't wait for the arena and to see what Paylor throws at us.

I know we will be able to make it through this, the girl on fire and the boy with the bread, finally one, finally working together as a team.

-----------------------------------------------

Sorry it's taken such a long time to upload, I've been busy with deadlines at uni.

Been thinking about how to go about writing about their time in the games, do you guys think I should alternate chapters between Peeta and Katniss or just keep it al in Katniss' POV?

Vote, comment, let me know what you think!