Chapter five

Chapter five

Peetas POV

I couldn’t believe what Katniss was telling me, she had suggested that the Capitol held another games if the violence and crime had gotten too great to handle.

“It’s not your fault, it’s hers.” I said flatly not wanting to hurt her feelings though the more I thought about it the more I knew what I said was true, Katniss would never want another games she had told me this a couple of weeks after I got back, after she had killed Coin.

I gave her a reassuring smile as Plutarch cleared his throat bringing my attention back to him.

“This is why I have brought you here. I must discuss this matter with you. Paylor will not tell you this until it is too late. Well to be honest with you, it is too late now, but at least this will give you some time.”

“Please spit it out. Tell me straight.” Katniss said, beginning to get a little anxious. I didn’t need to have been involved in the previous conversation 9 years ago to know what was coming next and a glanced at Katniss my expression mirrored on hers. How I hated to see her like this, I just wanted to take her and run. Leave and never return, I would do anything to keep her safe.

“Katniss, you were imprisoned after the rebellion, you murdered coin. That, in Paylor’s eyes, makes you eligible for reaping.”

“And let me guess. Out of those possibly thousands of names, mine will be one of the 24 which gets pulled out?” She asked, not needing an answer though Plutarch shook his head.

“I will make sure I am the one who puts the names in the ball. Also I will be head gamemaker again for it and I if you both end up in there I will make sure you both come out alive even if it kills me.”

For some reason I trusted him, he got us out alive once before, he surely would be able to do it again, plus we would have Haymitch and the other victors on the outside, they would help too, wouldn’t they?

I couldn’t be sure anymore, Paylor clearly wanted my love dead, as for me I am unsure. She got up and came to sit on my lap burrowing her face in my neck and I wound my arms around her protectively.

Plutarch got up and left us to it, I smiled and I began rubbing her back trying to sooth her. I could feel my collar begin to get damp as she cried, I just held her closer, she never likes me to pick up on the fact that she’s crying so I just pretend to ignore her. After a couple more minutes her breathing evens out. She’s asleep. I picked her up and strode out the room almost running into Plutarch who was just leaving the kitchen.

“Oh, sorry.” I whispered taking a step back, careful not to jostle Katniss too much.

“The spare room is upstairs, second door on the right.” He said smiling grimly at me. “You know, I am truly sorry for this Peeta, and I do mean from the bottom of my heart that i will get you and Katniss out of this alive. You have my word.”

“Thank you. I don’t know what I would do without her. She is my world.” I whispered barely audible my voice threatening to crack.

This was all too much. Nodding I turned and headed up the stairs and into our room for the night.

I carefully placed her on the bed and grabbed a blanket from the dresser to cover her. As I turned back I noticed two grey eyes staring up at me, I quickly covered the gap between us placing the blanket over her and crouching down beside the bed.

“stay with me?” She begged.

“Always.” I replied smiling and she smiled in return. I got up and she slid over allowing me space to lay down next to her. Rolling onto my back I lifted my arm up allowing her to cuddle up close to me.

“I love you.” She said, I closed my eyes, trying to live in the moment.

“I love you too.” I replied kissing her on the forehead.