Chapter nineteen

Rolling over, eyes still closed as I try to hold on to the rapidly fading dream, knowing these are the dreams and memories i will need to hold onto in the upcoming weeks. I stretch my arm out across the bed, feeling for a body i know will not be there. For the first time in a good few weeks i finally managed to get a good nights sleep knowing I am still able to talk to to Peeta, knowing all hope isn't lost. Just at the thought of his name has me jumping out of bed and bolting out of my room, I stop inches away from the glass and let out the breath I didn't even know I was holding.

There at the table with Haymitch is Peeta. They look to be deep in conversation but in seeing me they stop mid sentence and both wave, apparently our moods are rubbing off on him, our optimism, our hope.

As they turn back to their conversation I take the opportunity to slip back into my room and take a much deserved shower. Undressing I turn on the water, blindly press a couple of buttons from the vast control panel and step in, sit down, close my eyes and allow the hot steamy water flow over me.

I snap my eyes open and taken my surroundings, what happened? where am i?

I'm sat on the floor, watch rushing over me, pristine white tiles surround me, then I remember. The shower. In the next second I'm on my feet and grabbing a towel as I wrap it round me and heading back into my room. A quick glance at the clock tells me I've been in there for just over an hour, great.

I open my wardrobe and assess what stupid outfits Paylor has chosen for me to wear this time only to reveal black trousers, black fitted top and a black jacket all accented with red and orange. This wardrobe was not chosen by Paylor, this has Cinna written all over it. Cinna. I sigh and hold back the tears that threaten to fall, he must have had this made before he was killed, along with all the other dresses and outfits. I vowed to myself that I would not let all those who died to have died in vain, I promised myself that I would keep the games from ever returning, that all of Panem would be able to live in peace and without fear for their lives or their children's lives. For this Paylor must die, but first I must get Peeta and I out alive.

"Peeta." I whisper as I pull on my assigned clothes, he must be wondering where I have got to. I quickly check my reflection in the full length mirror before I turn and head back towards the open door and the glass wall.

I round the corner and see Peeta and Haymitch in a full blown argument, Peeta looks to be completely freaking out, he keeps running his hands through his hair and waving his arms around manically, gesturing to the staircase and then to the glass wall. He's worried, scared, about me I guess. I'm the only one who could get him that worried, and no wonder he's worried, I've been gone for over an hour without any explanation in the training centre. I close my eyes and allow myself time to tether my thoughts before I start panicking and losing myself, something I know I can't afford to do.

I press my hand up against the glass and wait, it's all I can do, wait until he notices I'm here, that I'm okay. I wait for what feels like forever neither of them noticing me.

"Tributes," Plutarch's voice rings over the speakers stopping them in their tracks, both freeze and tilt their heads towards the speakers giving the announcement their undivided attention, "training will commence in 30 minutes for those of you who wish to participate. Teams 1 through 12 will be required on floor minus one and tributes 13 through 24 will be in the basement. The training room will be available from eight till midnight for the next three days, interviews will not occur this year and there will be no training scores, for those of you who know how the games used to work your mentors will be interviewed and expected to sell you and your partner for sponsors. Once or should I say if you find your other half you will both be able to receive sponsor gifts but again that will we provided your mentor does a good job at selling you both. Good luck,and may the odds be ever in your favour!"

I see Haymitch look over to me, saying something to Peeta before he turns around and runs to me pressing his hand to mine.

"I thought something had happened to you." I manage to make out him saying.

"I'm fine, just fell asleep again." I say back while gesturing to try and get it across easier. I see him breathe a sign of relief before turning back to Haymitch,

I stand there just watching as they continue with their conversation though soon turn away frustrated at not being able to hear what they are saying I begin to head towards the stairway and silently make my way up to the roof but instead of opening to door to go out to the roof I shimmy my way through the gap and silently head back down the other side. Noiselessly I move into a comfortable place where I can sit, see and listen to their plans without them knowing I'm there.

"I don't want to go to training, what's the point Haymitch? Everyone knows our skills, our weaknesses. I am still as strong as I was in the last games, I still lift those bags of flour everyday, can weild a knife and am pretty good with a bow not to mention Katniss still knows how to use multiple weapons why should we train?"

"You may be clever boy but sometimes you can be so thick!" Snaps Haymitch.

"You don't want to be down there to practise no, you don't need to, but you should go down there at least once each to see what the other tributes have to offer, make alliances, work out others strengths and weaknesses."

"I guess you're right, better get over and done with then."

"Yeah you both need to, both of you should go down together, you will be able to spend some time getting a plan together as well."

"We have a plan." Snaps Peeta. "We always have a plan, you should know that!"

"Course you do."

"Sorry Haymitch, I just miss her, you know I struggle to sleep without her near even after all these years." I can hear the pain in his voice, this games is again going to be tougher on him then it is on me. I take this time to make myself known and peer around the corner only to be greeted with the back of Peetas head. Once again I notice Haymitch has seen me so I out my finger to my lips signalling for him to be quiet and not acknowledge I'm there.

"I know you do boy, I know." He says carrying on with their conversation. I took this opportunity to make my way behind him. "You must find her and stick together. Is there anything you can use as a token to make sure you can keep grip on reality? I know your attacks have been much less and you haven't had any in years the experience of being back in the arena will it a strain on you."

As soon as Haymitch finishes I reach up and gently place one hand over Peetas mouth and use the other to turn him round. I smiles and stifle a laugh as he jumps from me startling him.

'Hey' I mouth as I take my hand off his mouth.

His smile is unmistakably full of glee and relief before he pulls me into a bone crushing hug of whic I have to Tao his back before he releases me.

"Peeta? Do you have anything?" Prompts Haymitch, oh right, the y could be listening to their conversation.

"Hmm? Oh! Yes sorry Haymitch, I was er, thinking." Peeta lies, obviously cottoned on to the fact that they could be listening in. "I have a couple of things in mind but I think the best thing would be a letter or note from Katniss. I know it sounds cheesy almost but a note written on a piece of cloth that I could wrap round my wrist I think would really help me." He replies without taking his eyes off me.

"Very well, I shall arrange that for you." He replies before turning on his heel and leaving the room.