Chapter 29

Chapter 29

KPOV

“What if someone has seen us and cuts the rope?” Asks Marc as we abseil over the edge.

“Let’s just hope that we are holding on enough. Maybe don’t rely on the rope as much as you normally would on a climb?” I suggest. This gets a laugh.

“Yes, because everything about this situation is normal and I doubt it will surprise you to find out that I have never climbed down a cliff before.”

“No.” I huff as I get a decent purchase on the rock face and begin to slowly move down maintaining a pace with Marc’s decent. “I’ve never climbed down something this high before, only trees. Not too different though! I just wish that the sun was rising on the other side of the arena, it’s going to get hot if we don’t get down this within the hour.”

“I guess once we have moved the rope once we will be able to decent much quicker. Anyone who wants to ambush this will only be able to cut to rope while it is at the top of the cliff.”

“Yeah, though we still need to be careful.” I point out.

Being weighed down with all this baggage and weaponry was making my movements much more cluncky than usual. My agility was not as high as it should be for climbing down a cliff face. Good thing that Marc was going slow otherwise I don’t think I would be able to keep up with him as well as get down this in one piece. After another five minutes of us silently and slowly climbing down the rope finally became taught meaning it was time for our first rope switch.

“Right, untie yourself Katniss and hold on. I’ll sort out this.”

“OK.” I breathe as I look around for a decent place to hold on, foot holds were essential now and at the moment I was balancing on just my toes on the smallest ledge possible. I chance a glance below me and spot exactly what I need, a ledge. Definitely big enough for me to stand on without having to worry about falling or holding on, it would give me a perfect resting spot as well as somewhere for the next rope to hook on to.

“Marc?”

“Yeah.”

“I’m going to free climb down to that ledge it’s not too far. My guess is five metres. If I untie myself you’ll be able to free climb down to it too. Perfect place for a rest and we can work out how much further we have to go.”

“Good idea, are you able to get yourself free of the rope?”

“Yeah.” I let go of the rock with my left hand and begin to pull the knot, this knot was one  of my favorites, it was simple enough and allowed the person to untie it by pulling the loose part of the rope. Perfect for your needs, all we needed to do was tuck the loose end away so we didn’t catch it and we would be able to sort it easily. Carefully but quickly I pulled the rope and allowed it to swing free before a began my small decent to the ledge where I would wait for Marc.

“OK, it’s clear!” I called. “Just keep climbing down the rope should just follow you! Just don’t pull on it.” I remind him as I reach he ledge in no time.

“Thanks.” He mutters as he begins to concentrate on his own decent.

“Careful Marc, there’s a lack of foot holds below. It’s easier to just drop onto the ledge.” I advise not wanting him to lose his footing and crash into me as that would no doubt knock me off.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m out of the way, if you just drop you’ll land right next to me.”

“Right, OK Katniss, I’m trusting you, if I lose my balance please catch me.”

“I would never let you fall.” I state and with that he drops landing square on his feet next to me.

“Oh, that wasn’t as far as I thought it was.” He says brushing off his hands allowing me to pull the rope back from the top of the cliff. How far do you think we’ve come?” I ask as I peer over the edge and feel a little sick from the height.

“I’d say were about 50 metres down. It’s difficult to judge though.” He muses

“Hmm, you think the ropes that long?” I ask.

“Yeah. Look at the thickness of it, it’s tiny but strong and very long! Definitely about 100 metres in length.”

“OK, I believe you, you’re the fisherman after all!”

“Yeah, I guess I’ve had a lot of contact with rope with weaving nets and everything else.” He muses.

“How much further do you think we’ve got to go?”

“Not sure, hold this.” He adds giving me the end of the rope. I take a hold as he throws the other end off the ledge. I flatten myself against the ledge to allow myself to see clearly that the rope touches the ground.

“90 metres I’d say. There’s a fair amount on the ground. Can’t see any other ledges though that will allow us to do this again, it’s going to be more difficult next time. We could go down one at a time and just abseil it?” I suggest rolling over so I face him.

“Yes OK, but what about the rope? How are we going to keep it?”

“Ah, erm, we could loop it around this ledge and then pull it off? Could work? Worth a shot right and it will save time and energy?”

“Sure ok, hand me the end and I’ll get a secure knot tied.” I hand him the rope and ease myself back to my feet, once the knot is tied we loop the rope through it and hook it over the ledge.

“Who first?” I ask.

“I’ll go first, you cover my decent and then I’ll cover yours, I can take back my stuff for this one, make it easier on you?” I nod and carefully hand over his bag and weapons. I pull out my bow and arrows and prepare to cover his decent.

“Ready?” I ask as I begin to scan the forest below for any signs of danger.

“Yep.” He replies popping the P.

“Right, well I’m ready when you are.” And with my confirmation he takes off over the edge for the second time.

********************************************

I figured it was better to have a shorter chapter then to upload nothing at all in a month, i hope you enjoy and you never know I may be able to post anouther chapter when i get bored of revision next!