Chapter forty-two

Comment, vote! Let me know what you think!! It would also be brilliant if someone could tell me what my tribute kill count is at so I don't have to waste time going ack through the chapters instead of writing another!

Forty-two

"What's that?" Asks Ali after what feels like days of wading through knee deep water.

The temperature had dropped significantly and the rain had gone from sleet to snow quite rapidly. We were now all moving just to stay warm, hoping we would be able to get out of this freezing water before one of us froze to death. From the lack of conversation I would say there was at least one of us who were close. I was as used to the cold as anyone I knew from living in twelve all those years and I guess Peeta may be able to cope more than the average person but little Ali and Marc? They are both from the warmer climates of district four and not used to this. We have to reacht he relative safety of the cliff and soon!

I turn to see her line of vision before turning back and following it, squinting into to the distance. My hunters eyes pick it up straight away. There feint in the near distance a sheer grey obstacle. The cliffs.

"Great!" I all but shout as I turn back to Ali.

"What's great? What is it?" Asks Peeta, I can tell he's now on guard and worried. Snapping his head from side to side trying to spot the danger.

"The cliff." Replies Ali and I see Peeta visibly relax and move to my side to so we are touching as we all huddle closer together while we have a short break.

"That's good! Let's get there soon if I know anything about the games is anything is possible and I wouldn't put it past them to cool the temperature so much that this entire area turns to ice." Reminds Peeta.

"Better get moving then. Can't be more than a mile away from us." Marc pipes up and moves to take the lead, without a word we fall into step behind them, my bow still strung and Peeta still with his knife out. Moving at an almost jog we reach the cliffs in no time even with the snow and the freezing conditions.

Once were at the base Marc and I instantly begin searching for the ledge.

"What are you looking for?" Asks Peeta.

"There's a ledge somewhere around here. About halfway up." I inform the two of them as I keep scanning the cliff. Thankfully we are sheltered slightly from the snow storm, the wind blowing towards the trees. "Can you keep an eye out?" I ask, not taking my eyes off the sheer rock face I front of me. I move closer to the rocks face and look directly up. Starting close to the river I move along, safe in the knowledge that Peeta has my back. After a minutes walk I spot what I have been looking for, the ledge. Stopping I begin to mentally map out a route up to it.  If Marc and I can climb up first I can lower the rope for Ali and Peeta. The pain medication has taken full effect and my leg and arm are feeling as good as new. With my injuries Marc and I are still the most able climbers. I have the rope in my bag, pulling it off my back I open it and remove the length. Looping it up I string it over my shoulder along with my quiver and bow before turning to address the others.

"Right, I don't want any arguments with this plan OK?" Everyone nods their heads, Peeta more reluctantly than the others. "Marc and I are going to climb up to the ledge together and the two of you are going to cover us. Once we get to the ledge we will throw down the rope. You can both then tie the bags to it and we can pull them up. We can then lower the rope again for the two of you.  Peeta you will climb up a way and that will allow Ali to grip it too. Once you both have a hold we will pull you both up. We will then spend the night on the ledge before carrying on up at first light. Deal?" I end.

"Are you sure you are going to manager that climbs with your leg?" Asks a very concerned Peeta.

"Yeah, it's fine. I can't even feel anything wrong with it." I reassure giving him a small smile. Turning to Marc we nod to each other before beginning our climb.