Chapter Twenty-one

Chapter Twenty-one

PPOV

“Good luck” She mutters to me as she winces from the tracker a peacekeeper had just placed into her arm. I reach around our harnesses and take her small, fragile hand in mine.

“I’ll see you soon, just remember that.” I reply as I squeeze her hand three times and I know without words that she has understood what that gesture means, that I love her, that I always will but also that I know that we will see each other again, that we are to find the river and follow it, that we will see each other again and to remind her of our signal that we will whistle every morning at sunrise to see if we are close to each other. So many meanings from this one little thing, something we can use in the arena, a way of communication without the whole of Panem hearing us. She turns her body towards me as she looks me square in the eye with such an intense gaze I can’t even think about looking away.

“I’ll remember.” She whispers as she forces a pained smile which I can’t help but mirror.

"Tributes, this is where you must part ways. Loved ones, your harnesses have now been unlocked, if you would like to follow me." States a peacekeeper breaking the silence. I get up as does half the occupants of the hovercraft and place myself right in front of Katniss crouching down, placing my body between us and any onlookers. Before she can comprehend what is happening around us I have her in a fierce passionate kiss. I rest my forehead on hers, reluctantly pulling away.

“You’re going to need this.” She says as she slips a small sealed envelope in my hands before covering them with her own. I barely acknowledge the peacekeeper who is ordering me out with the others.

“I love you.” I mouth to her as the nearest peacekeeper is now guiding me out as if I didn’t already know where to go. I just reach the door when I hear the feint voice of Katniss.

“Always.”  I smile as I board and take my seat in the smaller hovercraft, her voice still ringing in my ears. I close my eyes and try to hold onto the sound of her voice, picturing her wonderful grey eyes, long brown hair  and her perfect smile. This is the image I will need to bring into my mind at the end of every day; her image will be the one that will prevent me from having a flashback.

Before I know it the door to the hovercraft is being opening and our harnesses are being unlocked.

“If you would like to follow your peacekeepers, they will lead you to your rooms where your shoots will be for access to the arena.”

I allow myself to be the steered in the direction of the wrought iron door which I have seen only once before and hoped I would never see again. I open the door and step inside as the door as slammed shut behind me.

“How are you?” Asks Haymitch. Haymitch why is he here? I thought he needed to be back in the capitol.

“What?” Is all I manage to get out before he stops me.

“Boy, there is something I needed to let you know before you go in, ok? I figured you could do without my help in the first couple of hours of the games. It’s not as if I would be able to get anything to you before then anyway.” He paused, hesitating causing me to frown. “Here.” He finishes handing me a slip of paper. Why? Surely he could just tell me? Oh, right, I think. Microphones and cameras. Now he’s beginning to make sense.  I open it up, taking care to shield it as best I can from viewers.

Bread.

That’s all it said just that one word.

Bread.

What? For someone who was meant to be helping me Haymitch just loved to be cryptic, never giving a straight warning. I guess he needs to be to be sure only I can understand making it even more difficult. Crumpling the note up in my hand I look up and frown at him but he just shakes his head. Right, just something else for me to think about while I’m trying to keep myself alive, trying to find her, killing other people while not getting killed, trying to find the river.

She knows something and I must trust her, she has been given some information. If she says for me to find a river she must know that I will recognize where I am. There is only one place I would recognize from the games. Our first arena.

I close my eyes and try to visualize the arena. If I am there I will need to head straight into the forest, to the right of the lake that, would lead me to the river. Then all I would need to do is follow it up. I would have a constant water supply, a reasonable chance at hunting, no one would be able to track me is I walked in the water and somewhere to take shelter at all times. I just hope we would find one another before something happens to one of us.

I look down at the wooden table where my clothing has been neatly folded, as I run my handed over the fabric I notice something on the table. An engraving that I must have drawn just minutes before I entered our first games.

‘I love you Katniss.’ The funny thing is, I don’t even remember doing this. I must have been so focused on the games, on saving her that I didn’t even notice what I was doing.

I push the thought to the back of my mind as I pull on my clothes for the games. Black and green just the colours I would need, I hope. Just as I bent down to tie my laces of my boots the voice came over the speakers announcing thee was 30 seconds till the games would begin. I take a deep breath and hurriedly tie the other lace.

Twenty seconds.

I slowly walk to my tube waiting in the far corner of the room and step inside.

Ten seconds.

“You’ll do fine Boy.” I smile back at my mentor this is as much as a good luck and stay safe I’ll ever get from Haymitch.

Five seconds.

“Look after our kids, please.” I ask to which he just nods as the glass door slides and locks onto place imprisoning me within. I place one hand on the glass, the other automatically goes to my neck, to where my locket hung from a gold chain, identical to Katniss’.

‘I will find you. I will find a river and follow it. I will protect you.’ I think over and over again as the plate begins to rise.

-------------------------------

So this was from Peeta's POV, how was it? I'm not that happy with it, I think Peeta would probably over think things more than this but I'm not sure. Please take your time to comment!