Chapter fifteen

Chapter fifteen

"Holly Lucas, District Eleven." I sigh in relief, Plutarch has managed to avoid calling us back into the arena, we are safe, the sense of relief and freedom that instantly flow through me is amazing and I have to briefly bury my head in my hands to hide the smile I am trying desperates to stifle I see Peeta lean forward doing the same, after a few seconds, intrigued by the last pairing and team I look up waiting for Plutarch to announce the second name, Whilst doing this I loosen my grip on Peeta's hand and give it a gentle squeeze, reminding him that it's OK, that we made it, that were finally safe, but when Plutarch reads the next name on the card I know it's far from it.

"Dominic Mellark, District Twelve." I feel Peeta go stiff with shock as his grip tightens painfully on my hand and know it's going to be bruised.

"I, I, I thought he was dead. I thought my family were all killed." He stutters.

"I did too, maybe it's not him?" I offer. "Oh no." I gasp just seconds later as the cameras focus on a young man a couple of years older than Peeta. You can tell instantly they are related by the messy ash blond hair and blue eyes. What's worse is the woman they focus on. She looks to be the same age as Peeta and I, slight of frame with a narrow pointed face but this isn't what gets to me as the camera pans out to show her reaching the front of the mass of people I see it.

She's pregnant.

"Katniss, we can't let them go in. We just can't! I have to save him, we have to do something." He gushes, I close my eyes knowing what I have to do. The only ing we can do. I stand as does Peeta and together we walk to the front of the stage, I see the alarm in our friends faces as we do this. We come to a stop at Plutarchs right just as Peeta's brother begins to climb the stone steps. I look deep into Peeta's eyes silently asking if what we are about to do is OK with him, he nods sternly before turning and facing his brother who has now made it to the top of the stairs.

"We volunteer, Peeta and myself volunteer to take the places of Holly Lucas and Dominic Mellark." I say strongly not quite able to fully comprehend what we are doing. "I cannot condone whatever this woman has done in her past but we can't standby and watch a woman go into the arena whom is carrying an innocent baby." Plutarch takes a couple of seconds to comprehend what has just happened and looks to Paylor to check if this is allowed, of course because it is Peeta and myself who are volunteering to go into the arena and no one else she smiles and nods, agreeing to us taking their place.

"Mum! Dad! No!" Rue screams as her and Fin sprint across the stage to us, I fall to my knees as does Peeta. I completely forgot about them.

"What have we done?" I ask Peeta as who has his head hidden in Rue's long curled hair.

"I am so sorry." He says fitting his head enough for me to see the pleading in his eyes.

"It's OK." I say standing and pulling him to his feet, Rue clings to my waist like her life depends on it as for Fin on my other side. I Wrap my arms protectively over their shoulders, and begin playing with their hair in an attempt to calm them both.

"Be brave for us." I say hoping Rue will pick up the double meaning to my words, she does. Almost instantly her expression portrays none of the emotion she is feeling, a blank canvas. She reminds me of the first time I volunteered, my determination, my fire burns in her. She knows she needs to stay strong, for both Peeta and I, but more especially for Fin, he will need her more than ever. She turns her cold expression on Paylor as Plutarch announces this turn of events to the ever waiting crowd.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Katniss and Peeta Mellark have volunteered to take the place of Holly Lucas and Dominic Mellark." I faintly hear the crowd protesting, screaming their detest for this, not nothing to hide their outrage but Peeta and I are distracted by the tall burly form of his brother just metres from us now.

"I thought you were dead?" Peeta rasps as he pulls his brother into a hug.

"I was on the boarders of the district when it was destroyed. I managed to make it to eleven. I didn't know where you had gone after the quell! I'm so sorry Peeta, and to you Katniss. Thank you so much for saving our lives." He explains and although this reunion is short, I know it was needed.

"We will talk again before we go into the arena." I promise as I hear that Haymitch has officially volunteered to be our sorry Peeta's mentor causing the crowd to cheer and he stands and makes his way to us.

"I know why you did it. I understand Sweetheart." He says has he formally shakes my hand before turning to Peeta. "She's a keeper that one." He says gesturing towards me. "Not many people would volunteer for their siblings let alone for someone they barely know." He says shaking his hand and turning back to his seat.

"The kids!" I hiss noticing that although their expressions are cold their grip is so tight on my waist that I am struggling to breath, bending back down, I manoeuvre them both so their backs are to the crowd and so I am shielded from their piercing stares, Peeta joins us in a heartbeat. "Listen to me we haven't got much time. As soon as Plutarch announces us you have to let us leave, find grandma, stay with her and listen to her and Gale. Together they will look after you. We love you both, be strong and we will see you soon."

"You will see us again, we promise." Peeta says with such assertiveness that even I begin to believe him. This calms them both enough and we stand again to face the world.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Katniss Mellark and Peeta Mellark, team twelve, mentor Haymitch!" He finishes, I find Peeta's hand. What happens next is so unexpected it knocks the breath from me, as if it was planned every member of the audience touches three fingers to their lips before raising to the sky in salute, this is all too much and Peeta notices that I am on the verge of losing it. He wraps his arm securely around my waist and give me a gentle squeeze, we both smile at each other before directing our sad smiles to the crowd letting them know our gratitude for the simple gesture. I see my mother edge her way towards the bottom of the steps and I take this as my queue to leave I nudge the kids gently in the direction of the steps as Peeta and I turn on the spot and begin to walk through the now open doors.

"No, I can't please! I don't want to leave you Mummy!" screams Fin wrapping his tiny frail body around my leg. I close my eyes fighting back the tear I know will inevitably come.

"Fin it's OK." I look up at Plutarch pleading with my eyes for him to let us take them in with us but he just shakes his head a fraction, no, but I can see the sorrow in his apologetic eyes. It's Gale who comes to the rescue getting up from his seat at the far end of the stage and briskly walks to us crouching down in front of the now cowering Fin as he notices the Peacekeepers who are beginning to move in on us, we're creating a scene on national television.

"Hey." He says calmly. "Why don't you come with me? I can tell you some stories about your Mum and me from when we were younger. Would you like that?" He asks offering his hand out to Fin who has now wound himself so tightly around both of my legs that I fear I may lose my balance and do a Haymitch and face plant the stage.

"I would like to hear the one about how you helped mummy get Aunty Prims goat?" Pipes up Rue who has appeared back on stage next to Gale, he turns to smile at her as do Peeta and I.

"Would you like to hear that one too?" He asks and I feel Fin nod against my legs, this slight shift in his weight causes me to lose my balance wobbling slightly before Peeta grabs my waist helping me stay upright. "Now Mummy and Daddy have to go now, but you will see them soon and in the mean time I can tell you all the stories you want!" He finishes with fake enthusiasm. Fin releases his grip on my legs and walks willingly over to Gale who wastes no time in scooping him up and carrying him off the stage with little Rue trailing after him. As he reaches the bottom of the steps he glances at me giving me a look of 'You can do this' and I mouth a thank you to him before I take the final steps into the confinement of the training centre.

-----------------------------------

Comment, vote, tell me what you think?