Chapter fifty-four

Chapter Fifty-four

With the curtain fallen between what I know to be safe and the unknown I grasp Peeta’s hand tightly and turn to find that we are both standing on the wings of a large stage. I recognise this stage and the set up.

This is the same stage that Caesar Flickerman used to interview tributes and victors. I have sat on this stage multiple times four to be precise; this time will be our fifth. From our position I can see Caesar sat in one of two lavish arm chairs, centre stage, microphone in hand charming the crowd. I don’t recognise the person who is in the second of the two chairs but by the way she is behaving it seems as if she might have won some form of competition. She is fidgety and bouncing around in her chair, unable to sit still.

She still wears the lavish clothes of a Capitol citizen something that only a handful still does.  She sits there in a bright orange puffy skirt with a lime green faux fur jumper. Her hair is something else entirely she has styled it to look like ears, pinned up on top of her head her hair the same colour as her skirt. I laugh at the sight of her and quickly turn it into a cough as I remember where I am. Peeta gives me a strange sideways glance probably wondering if I am OK or if I am finally going mad. I don’t want to worry him so I let him know what I was laughing at and he stifles a laugh.

“Yeah she reminds me of a badly designed carrot, I have no idea why she thinks she looks good I mean look at Caesar, he’s dressed down! Still has the blue suit but look at his hair, it’s black. He must want to fit in more with the other districts. Since this is, I’m sure, going to be mandatory viewing for all the districts he wants to be seen to fit in with the majority after the rebellion. Whenever we have seen him on television since then he hasn’t really changed his appearance to suit the fashion in the Capitol.

“I think they want us over there.” Says Peeta, pointing to the small group of people all wearing headsets and holding clipboards. I look at them and then at him. “They should know more information, unless they are peacekeepers in disguise.” He tries to joke but it just puts us both on edge.

“Wouldn’t they come and get us when they need us?” I challenge not wanting to do anything unless I have to. They have done enough and it is time we stopped bowing down to them. I know these back stage personnel are just doing their job but it doesn’t stop me from hating them. I am growing to hate anyone who is even associated with Paylor and now with Peeta’s idea of them being peacekeepers in different clothing it makes me even less willing to cooperate with them.

“Katniss…” Peeta begins but I cut him off.

“We can stay here, I’m sure we will hear when we are meant to go on. Caesar will just introduce us and we will get ushered on whether we like it or not.”

“Please let me do the talking like we discussed?” He begs pulling me into a hug. “We need to get through this as painlessly as possible.”

“Don’t worry Peeta, I may talk like this now, when the world isn’t watching but when we get out there I will say what they want to hear. We will demand to talk to Paylor on stage. She can’t deny us that as three time victors it would look too bad on her.” He kisses me on the top of the head before tucking me under his chin and cocoons me in his arms.