Chapter thirty three

Chapter Thirty-three

PPOV

I put my arm out stopping Ali from advancing, something’s not right. The birds have gone silent and there isn’t the usual rustle of the woodland creatures you would normally be hearing even the flowing of the river seems eerily quiet. Almost instinctively I pull out my weapon and lower myself into a protective crouch and wait in the shadows of the trees with Ali close at my side. I hover slightly in front of her almost protectively, unlike Katniss she needs protecting, when it’s me and Katniss I’m usually the one who needs protecting…

We must’ve only been there a minute or so when I begin to hear it, quiet at first but rapidly increasing in volume emanating from further upstream. I know that sound.

“I know that sound.” I whisper to Ali pulling us both back to our feet though being sure to keep my wits about me.

“What sound?” Asks Ali, of course she wouldn’t understand what I was talking about.

“The birds, they’re Mockingjays.” I answer like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

“Yes, I know what a Mockingjay is, but why is that a good thing?” She asks still unsure where I’m going with this.

“Katniss and I are able to communicate using them, much like her and Rue did in our first games. That tune you can hear them singing isn’t one of theirs, its Katniss’.”

“So, does that mean that her and my dad are close?” She asks hopeful of my answer. I frown and allow myself a couple of seconds to think about my answer. If the bread Haymitch gave me was to tell me how far away from Katniss we were and the Mockingjay’s have managed to carry her tune to me that would mean that we now must be less than 4 miles apart and if we are on a similar path, in theory there will be no more evenings sleeping apart from one another. If I am right then by the end of the day we will be reunited and we will have another problem on our hands. What to do about Ali and her father. I guess we will need to cross that bridge when we come to it.

“She must be close. Both of them.” I muse coming out from our hiding place and little Ali follows making sure to stick close to me like a little puppy.

“How far away do you think?” She asks becoming hopeful with the promise of being reunited with her father and I can’t help but feel much more optimistic with this little communication.

“I’m not sure, a couple of miles. Let’s just hope that they are along the river.” I add though I know almost certainly that they will be, I know Katniss and if she told me to travel upstream I can be sure as hell she will be travelling downstream, I just need to stick as close to the bank of the river as I can just in case she is on the other side. I don’t want to risk not seeing her and us passing, that would be the worst thing imaginable to happen.

“But what if they’re not?” Asks Ali a hint of worry in her voice.

“Then we will find them. It may be a challenge but we will find them. I promise.”

“Thank you Peeta.”

“Let’s keep moving.” I say brushing away her thanks, not that I’m really sure why she is thanking me.

We have only been walking a matter of minutes when I spot it. The beginnings of a gorge. The banks we are walking on begin to rise steeply and soon we are walking at last five metres above the river. I hope we don’t pass Katniss through this part, she could be on the other side with no hope of getting to her. Hopefully this gorge won’t last for too long and we will be able to clear it fast before nightfall.

We keep walking, trudging on me following behind Ali sticking to the very narrow piece of land that is available between the tree line and the cliff.

“Ali, stay –“ I don’t even manage to get my sentence out before it happens. I act instinctively catching her arm before she falls into the river below though now she is dangling over the edge with be flat on my stomach, it is only a small drop, a drop that wouldn’t harm her but I don’t know if she can swim. Anyway even if she could swim it would be a good mile before I would be able to get her out and there could be underlying currents that we don’t know about. I can’t let her fall.

“Ali, I’ve got you.”

“Don’t let me fall Peeta, please?”

“Never, but I’m in a position where I can’t pull you back up. If I dangle my other arm over the edge can you try and climb up me?” I ask as I find a couple of small rocks half dug into the mud to hook my feet behind.

“I don’t know I’m not very strong. I don’t think I will be able to Peeta. Oh, please help me!” She begs, becoming more and more hysteric the longer we are in this position.

“Stay calm.” I begin rapidly trying to think of a plan to get us both out of this predicament both unharmed. “Right I am going to lift you up by your wrists, when you can grab hold of the side. I will then reposition myself so I can then properly lift you up and out, ok?”

“Yes.” Hopefully this will work.

“Right, first we need to change our grip, first this hand.” I say squeezing her right hand. “And then this one.” I add squeezing the left. “I need to get hold of your wrist OK? Ready?”

“Yes.”

“One, Two, Three!” I gasp letting go of her right hand and changing my grip to her wrist.

“Ouch! That really hurts!” She winces.

“I’m sorry. It’s the only way I can think of doing this.” I apologize. “I know this is going to hurt again but ready for the other?” She nods again. “One, two, three.”

Quickly I change my grip to her wrists and don’t hesitate in pulling her up so her hands can grip the edge of the cliff. Sensing my urgency she quickly gets a grip on the ledge.

“Got it?” I ask.

“Yes, though I won’t be able to hold on for long.” She adds.

“Don’t worry, I’m just going to move so I am sitting a leg either side of your hands and then pull you up and over me OK?”

“Yeah. Please hurry.” She begs again. I quickly let go of her wrists and reposition myself so I am sat on the edge, I then grip her wrists yet again and leaning back pull her up and over the edge. Once she is lying on top of me I let go of her wrists and allow her to roll off me, sit up and dangle her legs off the side too.

“I think we deserve a break. I can see where the gorge finishes not far see?” I ask directing her attention upstream in an attempt to distract her from the events just past.

“Yes, I see. How long do you think it will take us to get there?”

“Oh not long, half an hour maybe? We can take it slow, be careful, take care and then we can stop for the day, we can set up camp just inside the tree line, maybe make a fire while it is still daylight and have some toast. Would you like that?”

“Very much so, it would be nice to have something warm.” She says enthusiasm thick in her voice.

“Right let’s get going then!” I say hopping to my feet and pulling her up.

This time taking much more care we start walking again at a much more leisurely place we slowly but surely make it to the other end of the gorge and collapse to the floor. The day is getting on by the time we stop and get enough wood to get a small fire started. Perhaps we will find Katniss tomorrow, I think as we sit toasting some bread. I look out to the river. It looks deep but beautifully calm. The soft trickle of the water is created from the water hitting one of the many large boulders protruding through the water’s surface. Ali being from district four is able to fashion a small net and within a couple of minutes has managed to catch two small fish, enough for the both of us for a substantial meal along with our bread. We eat our fill and stamp out the fire. We then settle against a tree facing the river and watch the world go by as the sun begins to set as we wait for the anthem to play.

---------------------------------------------

What do you think? little bit of action, hope you're all enjoying it! as always vote and comment!!