Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

As soon as we cleared the doors and they were tightly shut behind us we were greeted by two peacekeepers. We would be trapped in this building for seven days, seven days before we are shipped off to fight for our lives but I know, as does Peeta that the fight will not begin then it has already began and I’m not too sure that we have gotten off to a good start with that.

I guess our reputations and the fact that both of us now have volunteered twice for the games. Twice we have willingly gone into the games; twice we have chosen to leave our families to save someone we love be them another tribute or a family member. I just can’t help but think that our luck is running out, if indeed we even had any, we both made it out twice, I fear that us both making it out alive a third time is pushing it but I will not give up, neither of us will. There is a chance after all. I make a promise to myself that I will never let myself forget that, whatever is thrown at us over the next week, there will always be a chance that the two of us will come back, that both of us can be three times victors of the hunger games.

"One in each lift please. Hit twelve when you're in there and it will take you to your rooms."

“Why do we need to go in separate lifts?” I ask

“Just following orders. Please, if you will.” He said motioning for us to move towards the lifts. I begin to panic and grip harder onto Peeta’s hand never wanting to let him go.

“But if we are both going to twelve why the different lifts? I mean we just walked through there didn’t we?” I challenged.

“Katniss? Love, it’s going to be fine, I promise. I will see you again. It may just be what they have done with all the others so they need to do it with us too.”

“But why Peeta? It just doesn’t make sense.”

“I don’t know love, I just don’t know.” Peeta says to me as he leads us towards the two ominous doors. As we reach them they open and Peeta takes me into a tight embrace, kissing me lightly on the top of my head. I lean back to gaze up at him, he smiles looking relaxed and calm but as I look into his deep blue eyes seeing the fear there. I try to smile and put on my bravest face not wanting the possible last time he sees me to be in tears this seems to satisfy him as he kisses me on more time before stepping away from me and heads towards his lift. I watch until he moves out of sight before I step into my own lift, the doors slide shut before I have even chosen the floor.

These lifts are completely unchanged from the quarter quell, the only difference is the addition of twelve more buttons indicating the twelve other suites but as to where they are has me at a complete loss, the only thing I can think of is that these lifts are much like the ones in thirteen now where they can move up down and side to side though I guess I’ll never find out. I don’t know how long I have been stood there for before I decide it’s about time I pressed a button but when I finally do I instantly sink to the floor not caring that I will be at my floor, my prison for the next week.

I felt my body press into the floor as the lift began to,make its way up, seconds later the bell sounded and the doors slid open revealing my all too familiar rooms. I sat there just staring out into the corridor, the more I looked the more it seemed to be untouched, Peeta and I weren’t going to be separated after all.  I sprang to my feet and made my way to the mouth of the lift and took a tentative peek out to my left not sure what I would find, the first thing my eyes settle on is Peeta who is doing the same. My face lights up, mirroring his expression or happiness and relief, I wave at him causing him to laugh as he returns my little wave before stepping out so I can see him fully. Without hesitation I do the same and take a small step forward, however happy I am to see him again I can’t help but think that this is a trap, another cruel game of Paylors.

I see him say my name and frown, I can’t hear him.

“Peeta?” I say back and I see my confusion flitter across his face. He can’t hear me either. That’s when I see it, a feint reflection of myself, I feel my heart sink I hope I’m imagining this, I reach my hand slowly forward and don’t feel anything, keeping my hand outstretched I take another step forward followed by another, that’s when I feel it. A glass wall, I press my palm up to it and stare at it.

Why us, this is just cruel, yes punish us, and throw us back into the games but to allow us to see our loved one but not allow us to touch or talk to them, that’s just another form of punishment that no one should have to endure. I look back up at Peeta who is still looking at our hands, hands which should be touching; he looks so lost, so pained and deep in thought. There must be a way to overcome this, I wonder if the training room will be like this as well. I wait patiently for him to look at me again, after another minute or so he glances up at me and raises one finger to me to say ‘hold on’ before he darts off to his room. Letting my hand drop I stay rooted to the spot eagerly awaiting his return and in no time at all he is back with a pen and paper in his hands sitting down he begins to write something before holding up the pad and pressing it against the wall for me to see.

Hey, you ok? I thought this would be better than nothing right?

I smile and nod, it was things like this that made me love him that little bit more. It was now my turn to dismiss myself as I turned and headed to my room. I threw open the door and was rewarded by a loud bang as it hit the wall and began searching for a pen and paper, I started by opening the series of draws next to my bed and was rewarded with exactly what I needed in the second draw. I swiftly snatched the articles out of the draw and slammed it shut and turning and making my way out of the door before I leave the room I see something out of the corner of my eye pausing I quickly glance to my right and see a white envelope with my name on. I sighed and went over to the side to pick it up I was about to walk out to show Peeta but something’s telling me that whoever gave this to me meant it for my eyes and my eyes only, but I couldn’t just leave Peeta out there.

I ran out of my room with the pen and paper but when I got back to the glass Haymitch was standing with Peeta talking, both clearly looked frustrated and upset. Not wanting to disturb them I quickly wrote a note

Hey, I see you are busy with Haymitch, I’ll be back in an hour going to try and figure some things out. I love you.

I left it on the floor right up against the glass so he would be able to read it and then turned back to my room to read this letter.

--------------------------------------------------

Sorry it took so long for an update, vote and comment, let me know what you think!