🔅 Still

YOU

"Hey Niall, I heard the new album. Really loved the songs and the concept of the album. I can see the work you have put into this album. Congrats to you and your team!"

You texted your ex boyfriend. It had been almost a year since the two of you had broken up. But the two of you kept in touch occasionally. Wishing each other on birthdays and some other formal messages on festivals or something. Even though it was a mutual decision there were days you really missed him and wondered if this was the right thing. You did try to see other people but nothing really worked out that well.

You really liked some songs from 'Heartbreak Weather' and as you got ready for bed and slipped under the covers you played some of the soft numbers from the album again. It warmed your heart to hear how much his voice and writing had matured from 'Flicker'. Listening to him sing also reminded you of how much you missed hearing his voice.

You looked over at the other side of the bed, empty and cold and the empty nightstand. There were times when it was Niall who would sleep across from you. Sometimes you'd wake up to see him looking at you in an adoring manner. Sometimes running his fingers through your hair. You took a deep breath and stopped the music. It stopped right as the last track of the album played through your earphones.

'Still' that was the song that kept playing through your head all day. Even though there were some very catchy upbeat songs that were there in the album this song trumped over the others. You just could relate to the lyrics so bloody much. That's how you felt whenever you thought about Niall.

If honesty means telling you the truth, well I'm still in love with you.

That line would get you every time. You locked your phone and pulled the covers over yourself and decided to call it a night.

It was hard for you to fall asleep with all the thoughts that clouded your mind. You wondered for the millionth time that if there were days where Niall felt the same if he too had nights where he tossed and turned and it was hard for him to catch a wink, if he still thought about you.

After struggling for quite a bit you did manage to sleep but were woken up by your phone ringing. It was 1 am. You let the phone ring. You had to wake up to switch it off because it rang twice. But when you picked up your phone you saw Niall's name flashing on your screen.

You were immediately alert and your heart rate escalated a little. You took a deep breath and swiped to pick up the call.

"Hello?"

"Y/n. Hi. H-how you've been?" Niall asked.

"I-i'm good, Niall. It's been a while." You lie as you stare at the empty white wall opposite your bed.

"Yeah. it has been. Umm thanks for the message. I am glad you liked the album."

"Oh yes. I liked the concept. It was beautiful." You confess and become quiet. You didn't know what else to say because it was the first time in a year y'all had actually spoken on call.

"Did you hear the whole album? Like till the very last song?" He asked nervously.

"Yes. I did. Your songwriting has improved a lot. Very beautiful lyrics and I guess..." You paused for a second contemplating whether you wanted to say the next bit but Niall felt impatient and urged you to continue,"What?"

"And I guess a lot of people would relate to that. And I think thats what a lot of listeners look for in a song these days."

"Yes, you are right. What did you think of the last song -" he was about to say the name but you beat him to it.

"Still was a very beautiful song, Niall. Very beautiful. If honesty means telling you the truth, I'm still in love with you. I love that line."

"Yeah I- wait yes, yeah it is a great line." He replied and sighed. There was silence on the call but you knew that there was something that was unsaid otherwise Niall would have gotten to it by now. He hadn't called you the whole year but he did today.

"Niall"

"Y/n" You both began at the same time.

"Y/n I want to go first. I need to go first." He began. You nodded even though he couldn't see you but he took your silence as an indication.

"It's about you y/n. You were an inspiration behind a few others too but this one... It was the easiest yet hardest song to write. It penned down exactly how I felt and though that sort of felt cathartic it made me realise how much I miss you, miss us. I need you in my life, I want to be with you. and I know we both decided that the break was what was better for us but I doubt that. Y/n, I want to give this another shot, because if honesty means telling you the truth." He sighed. and a small chuckle escaped his mouth. And a small smile broke on your face too.

"Cant believe Im quoting my own song, this is so fucking cheesy but I mean it y/n, I am still in love with you."