ten: murders among us

"Oh, you plenty competent,
So why aren't you confident?"

byegone by volcano choir

Avery had a split second to weigh her options. Either she let the king get knocked out and risk Charlotte not making it out of this alive and save her own ass, or she could take the hit and give her people a fighting chance. In any other situation she would've gone with number one. But, shaking her head at the stupidity of her decision, Avery jumped in front of Bellamy just in time for Murphy's stick to hit the back of her head.

Then the world fell into darkness.

She woke up a few hours later to a dark forest lit by the torches of Murphy's men. Disoriented, she tried to figure out where the hell she was. She was being carried, she could tell that by the shoulder lodged into her stomach and the fact that she was moving. Her hands and feet were bound together with rope. Murphy's voice rang out, calling for Charlotte. Good, she thought, they hadn't found her yet. Getting hit in the head may have been worth it.

Suddenly, Charlotte's screams could be heard throughout the forest. Murphy and his men took off towards the sound, the one holding her jostling Avery along the way. They weren't being gentle, but Avery couldn't really complain because she wasn't dead.

The person carrying her stopped when she heard Bellamy's voice rang out. She was finally able to take in her surroundings when the man holding her essentially dropped her on the ground. She squinted back up at him when she was securely on the ground. Then she looked forward at the predicament her friends were in. Bellamy stood at the edge of a cliff with his arm protectively around Charlotte. He looked ready to fight. Avery let out a magled sigh.

"Alright, what the fuck did I miss?" Her voice was slightly slurred, she was still waking up and her head hurt like a bitch.

"Avery." Bellamy cursed and looked directly at Murphy, venom in his voice. "I swear to god, if you hurt a single hair on her head -"

"You're gonna what?" Murphy laughed, and then his expression turned cold again.

"Stop!" Clarke yelled, her and Finn making their way into the middle of the situation. "This has gone too far. Just calm down, we'll talk about this." Before she could finish her thought, Murphy had his knife to her throat. Avery struggled against the rope around her hands, trying to get free so she could give Murphy a piece of her mind. All she managed to do, however, was make her wrists hurt. Finn also moved towards Murphy, but quickly realised that there was no way he could win when Murphy had this much leverage.

"No, please!" Charlotte was crying, and Bellamy hopelessly shook his head. He didn't know what to do. This was the first of many impossible choices. "Please don't hurt her." Charlotte begged.

"Don't hurt her?" Murphy questioned. "Okay, I'll make you a deal. You come with me right now, I will let her go."

"Don't do it." Avery and Clarke said at the same time. Bellamy made eye contact with Avery. Her eyes told him she was willing to die for this girl. That was her choice, and Bellamy was going to keep Charlotte safe for her. But he was going to try to keep her safe too, damn it.

Charlotte started to struggle against Bellamy and cry, trying to get herself to Murphy. He held her back, and managed to get her to stand still before he turned to Murphy.

"Murphy, this is not happening." He told him.

"I can't let any of you get hurt anymore." Charlotte said, tears streaming down her face. "Not because of me. Not after what I did." She glanced behind her and in that moment Avery knew what she was about to do. But she noticed a second too late.