sixteen: a promise made

"And promise me this;
You'll wait for me only
Scared of the lonely arms
"

promise by ben howard

Avery eventually made her way back to camp, where everyone was recovering from the effects of whatever nuts they'd eaten. Her steps were still uneven as she entered the camp, the image of her parents still seemingly squirming around in her brain.

"I'm pretty sure I ate a pinecone because it told me to." Avery caught Monty telling Octavia. Walking over to them, she plastered her usual smirk on her face. Both Monty and Octavia gave her looks of surprise when they saw her. Avery was covered in dirt from rolling around on the ground, and the flowers in her hair were looking a bit worse for wear.

"You alright?" Octavia asked her, her voice concerned.

"Yeah." She replied. "I'm all good." She sent them a small smile. Monty looked like he was about to say something to her when Miller yelled from across camp.

"He's gone!" He yelled. "The grounder is gone!" Avery quickly made her way over to Miller, anger evident on her face.

"What the hell happened?" She asked him, as chaos erupted in the camp around them.

"I was eating the nuts, and when I got out of the hallucinations, he was just gone!" Miller panicked. Avery sent him an annoyed look and ran her hand through her hair. They were going to have a hell of a lot more to deal with if the grounders retaliated. The delinquents couldn't win in a fight against them.

It was as if her prayers were answered when Bellamy and Clarke walked through the front gate with bags over their shoulders. The first thing Avery noticed, however, were the cuts on Bellamy's face. She gave him a concerned look. Meeting her eyes, he gave her a reassuring look before turning to address the crowd.

"Let the grounders come." He said with confidence. "We've been afraid of them for far too long, and why? Because of their knives and spears? I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being afraid." With a nod at Clarke, the leaders swung their bags over their shoulders and onto the ground, revealing several rifles.

Avery looked up at Bellamy in disbelief. A grin spread across her face, and he sent her a small smile back. They finally had a fighting chance.

"These are weapons, okay, not toys." Clarke addressed the crowd. "We have to be prepared to give them up to the guard when the dropships come. But until then, they're going to help keep us safe." Clarke also sent a nod Avery's way, which she returned.

"There are plenty more where these came from." Bellamy said. "Tomorrow we start training. When the grounders come - "

"We'll be ready to fight." Avery finished for him, nodding her head. She stood across the fire from Bellamy and Clarke, the light of the flames flickering across her face.

Avery walked up to Bellamy when they were done with their announcements. She shifted her weight to her right foot and leaned against the inner part of the camp wall.

"Hey," She greeted him, and he gave her a small smile back. "What happened out there?" He started to speak again, but Avery interrupted. "Don't tell me nothing, cause something obviously did." She moved her hand in a circular motion around his face. He laughed and swatted her hand away.

"Seriously." She said, raising her eyebrows.

"Dax tried to kill me on Commander Shumway's orders." He said, letting out a long breath. "He gave me the gun to shoot the Chancellor." Avery raised her eyebrows in fake surprise. "What? Worse than you expected?" Bellamy tried not to smile, but failed.