forty: a spacewalker's goodbye

"we all know what we've done.
we must be killers."

we must be killers by mikky ekko

The sun was setting when Marcus came into their cell.

Avery and Monroe tried to remain positive for the rest of the day. But with the time passing slowly and the guards seemingly growing more and more agitated as it did, the prospect wasn't looking good for the remaining delinquents.

It looked even worse when Marcus entered.

He was followed by a few guards and Chancellor Abby Griffin, all wearing grim expressions.

Avery could hear her heartbeat in her eardrums.

She could tell that Monroe was afraid too. She knew something had gone wrong. Abby and Kane wouldn't come into the room with such a unified front if something hadn't. They had a lot of guards, meaning whatever news they were bringing was going to bode bad enough for the delinquents that they might try to kill them.

"The grounders have Finn." Marcus said, hanging his head as he tried to break the news lightly.

Everything moved in slow motion.

The guards hands moved towards their weapons. Everyone in the room expected Avery to snap. Everyone always expected her to lose it. But she wouldn't. Not here.

Instead, she sucked in a shaky breath and moved forward. Surprisingly, the guards let her pass through their ranks with relative ease.

"I'm going to see him."

Avery spoke with finality, and if the people around her protested, she didn't hear it.

***

With every step into the courtyard, Avery felt her anger grow.

She tried to muster more and more confidence as she moved forward, clenching her jaw so tightly it felt like it might snap in half. All eyes were on her. The guards, Abby and Marcus, civilians. They all watched her with either awe or apprehension.

But her intentions were also clear.

She was not going to kill Lexa. She was going to say goodbye to Finn.

Finn.

Someone with them from the beginning, whose attempts to make peace failed, but gained them assets, allies, and a totally different perspective on the ground. Whose lack of unwavering loyalty and genuine attempt for peace saved their asses more times than Avery cared to admit. She owed her life to him, several times over. She'd killed for him, tortured for him, nearly died for him.

And now he was going to die for a mistake Avery would have made too. A mistake she had already made countless times and would surely make again.

Killing without thought of consequence.

Before she could even process what was happening, Avery King made her way through the front gate of Camp Jaha. She was fairly sure that Bellamy and Clarke were back within the gates. She thought about going back for them for a moment, but quickly shot the idea down. She was already out of the gate and they would try to stop her. She didn't need that now.

When she walked up to the grounders tent, the tall grounder from before approached her. He still towered over her, looking a bit confused at her arrival with his spear in hand.

They weren't expecting her.

Avery couldn't have given two shits even if she tried.

She moved past the man and toward the tent before an arm was on her stomach, preventing her from moving forward. It was Indra, the grounder who threatened Avery in the Commander's tent. Indra narrowed her eyes at the teenager.