four: trust means someone to lose

"I think you're gonna change my plans
With those emerald eyes"

claudia by finneas

Avery had been cooking for hours with what they had, which was almost nothing. As funny as it would have been for Avery to cook meth, she didn't. Instead, she made a fire and cooked down some herbs and berries she knew weren't poisonous to make a weird, but edible sludge. After that, she collected a bit of rocket fuel from one of the damaged cells to make quick fire starters. She figured they'd need them when it rained.

She was very excited for it to rain.

She walked back towards the dropship to get some more water. On her way into the ship, she spotted Murphy confronting Wells. Murphy had written "First son, first to dye" on the side of the dropship. Avery rolled her eyes as she walked past them.

"You spelled die wrong, dumbass." She addressed Murphy while she walked into the dropship. She wasn't defending Wells, she was offending Murphy. Important distinction.

She moved her cup to collect water from the small amount of it that was sent down with them from the Ark. As she did, she could hear Bellamy talking to Murphy and his friends through the wall of the dropship. Bellamy was trying to convince the hundred to take off their wristbands so that the Ark would think they were dead.

Avery figured he did something bad to get himself down here. It made sense. He would do anything to protect his sister, which anyone could see. He would definitely kill someone to ensure Octavia's safety.

"What the hell did you do, Bellamy Blake." She whispered to herself. "It must've been something really bad."

Oh, if only she knew.

--------------------------------------------------

That night, Avery exited her tent to sounds of cheering coming from the campfire in the center of camp. Bellamy and his men were removing the wristbands from other people. It made her a little pissed, but the only person she remotely cared about who would be watching on the Ark was Kane. So, as long as he knew she was alive, she was fine with other people removing their wristbands.

She understood why they were doing it, though. If she knew her mother was watching the monitor of her wristband she would take it off in a heartbeat. Just to make her feel sorry.

She leaned on the side of her tent, observing the scene in front of her. Wells was walking up to Bellamy. This probably wasn't going to be good. Whatever Bellamy's reason for not wanting people from the Ark to come down, he was willing to risk everything for it.

"Who's next?" Bellamy roared, as he pulled a girl up who had just had her wristband taken off.

"What the hell are you doing?" Wells asked.

"We're liberating ourselves." Bellamy said. "What does it look like?"

Then Wells told them that they should want the Ark down with them. He cited several reasons, all of which were valid but Avery wasn't really paying all that much attention to what the chancellor's son had to say. As it turned out, neither was everyone else. They wanted everyone up there dead, and for good reason.

"That's the point, Chancellor." Bellamy laughed. "We don't want the people on the Ark to follow. We can take care of ourselves, can't we!" The group cheered.

Wells continued to try to convince the crowd that they needed the people from the Ark. He was right, of course, but no one from the camp could see that. Avery knew that he would never get through to them. Why should they care about the safety of the people that locked them up?

Wells finally struck a nerve with Bellamy when he asked him how he couldn't want "his people" down here too. Avery visibly flinched and shook her head. Wrong move, Wells.

"My people," Bellamy spoke softly, but strongly. "Already are down. Those people," He pointed to the sky. "Locked my people up." He walked towards Wells slowly. "Those people killed my mom for the crime of having a second child. Your father did that. Your father enforced the laws up there. Not anymore," He addressed the crowd. "Here. There are no laws!" The crowd cheered for him.

So, he was good with words. Avery knew there was no chance anyone else could lead this camp now. Bellamy was a good politician. She also knew he would be a good ally.

"Here, we do whatever the hell we want whenever the hell we want! Now," He turned towards Wells. "You don't have to like it, Wells. You can even try to stop it or change it, kill me. You know why? Whatever the hell we want."

"Whatever the hell we want." The crowd started chanting. Bellamy turned towards Avery to see her leaning against the tent, smirking. She took a sip of water and tilted her glass towards him. He nodded. He needed reassurance that she was on his side, and he got it.

Then, it started raining.

Everyone started cheering, and Avery looked over at Bellamy. His hands were outstretched, and his face was to the sky. Her body mirrored his, and she started spinning around in circles, letting the rain fall down her face. This was joy, the purest form of it Avery had ever really felt. They stared at each other for a moment, and the world around them seemed to slow.

He smiled. She smiled back.

It was a silent trust between them. I am with you and I am not going to stop what you're doing even though I disagree.

--------------------------------------------------

As the rain slowed and night began to fall, Bellamy and his men re-grouped in their tent. Bellamy turned to three of his men.

"We need to get those wristbands off of the people that still have them." He told them. "We move out tonight. I want it off Wells, he'll be the hardest, so I'll take him." He pointed at two of the men. "After that, you two get Montgomery, she'll agree if you ask. Round them up, I want those wristbands." Most of the group began to leave, but two stayed behind.

"Bellamy." Murphy said from the door of the tent. "What about King?"

"What about her?" Bellamy asked.

"She still has her wristband."

"And?" Bellamy was getting obviously annoyed.

"Well I was just wondering, since you want all the wristbands, if I should go get one from her." Murphy asked in his usual, annoying way.

"No."

"Bellamy- "

"I said, no." He looked up at Murphy. "There are allies we want to have here, and one of them is Avery King." Bellamy's expression got more serious when Murphy laughed.

"Look, Bellamy," He started. "I get it. She'd be good to sleep with, but– "

Before he could finish his sentence, Bellamy punched him in the jaw. He staggered back, putting his hand to his face to hold his bloody lip. He started to walk backwards out of the tent.

"I see how it is, Bellamy. Have fun with your little girlfriend tonight." Bellamy stepped after him, probably to punch him again when Atom put a hand on his shoulder. Bellamy then turned and kicked an empty barrel instead, probably imagining it as Murphy.

He let his guard down. He let his emotions get the best of him.

"I'm guessing this isn't something you want to get out." Atom said.

"No." Bellamy breathed. "She'll only get hurt that way." He turned and left Atom in the tent, wondering how the hell he got into this mess.

He was already putting Octavia in danger, but at least she knew about it.

He could not have two people to lose.