forty-eight: the long walk

"Are we the hunters?
Or are we the prey?
"

game of survival by ruelle

Zoe left with Avery as the sun rose.

They let Emerson go a few hours prior, assuming he would stumble through the woods for long enough for them to catch up with him. Clarke told him they had a secret army. She told him they were coming for him. Anything to distract from the real target - Mount Weather itself and Bellamy inside of it. Hopefully Monroe and Avery would distract the Mountain even more when they arrived.

All Clarke could do was lead back at Camp Jaha and pray for everyone else. It would only be her and Raven if they failed.

The trek through the woods was long, but they only carried water canteens and extra rations along with their small weapons and the radios clipped to their belts. At least they weren't carrying anything too heavy, Avery reassured herself as they walked.

"Damn, this sucks." Zoe said as they walked up a particularly steep hill.

"Yeah." Avery replied, coughing slightly. She eyed the radio on her belt. "It's been two hours," She told Monroe. "Let's stop and radio back."

Monroe was happy to oblige.

They found a rock to sit on, opening up and turning on their walkie-talkies.

"Avery King to Camp Jaha." Avery spoke clearly into the speaker. "Avery King to Camp Jaha."

"This is Raven Reyes to Avery King." Raven's voice came clearly through the radio. "You alright?"

"Yeah, we're good." Avery responded. "Everything good there?"

"Yeah." Raven paused. Avery made suspicious eye contact with Monroe. "Well...just, don't worry about it."

"Okay." Avery sighed. "Bellamy check back in?"

"Yeah, he's alright but things are getting worse. Just... just get there."

"Will do. Just don't kill Clarke while we're gone."

"Okay. Over and out."

"They're totally gonna kill each other." Monroe said. Avery snorted.

"Yeah, no shit."

***

"So what's the real plan?" Monroe asked after another hour of walking passed. Avery sent her a look that said "this is the real plan." Monroe scoffed. "You really expect me to believe we're just gonna kill Emerson and waltz into the place? Come on, Avery, you're smarter than that."

Avery smirked, walking slightly faster. Zoe sighed and walked quickly after her.

"So you're not gonna tell me the plan?" Zoe's got more desperate. Avery could tell she was wondering if going into the mountain was really a good idea. "Seriously?"

"I'm sorry, Zoe." Avery sighed. "You're not gonna like it."

"I still wanna know it." Zoe insisted.

"The plan's to get caught." Avery said it quickly and continued walking. She didn't want to dwell on it.

"I'm sorry, what." Zoe was too shocked to be angry.

"We couldn't just kill Emerson, then we'd have no way in. But, if we let him take us in, it'll be two on one for a minute. I figure we can beat those odds."

"You're crazy as hell, King." Monroe let out a laugh when she was done being shocked. "If we live through this, we need to have a serious conversation about how often I'm willing to risk my life."