eight: four mistakes

"Felt we could really do this
But really I was foolish
Hindsight it's
Obvious
"

moral of the story by ashe 

Half an hour later, Bellamy and Avery walked quietly through the forest, an axe in Bellamy's hand and a knife in Avery's. They spotted some sort of hog chewing on grass about twenty feet away. Bellamy looked excited.

"She's mine." He said, and swung the axe at the hog. He missed, and the axe embedded itself into a nearby tree. The rest of the hunting party went running after the animal, but Avery and Bellamy stopped when they noticed a young girl right next to the tree Bellamy had hit. Avery ran over to her, and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw she was unharmed.

"Who the hell are you?" Bellamy asked.

"Charlotte." She responded, looking scared.

"I almost killed you." He told her. Avery scoffed, as if she didn't already know that. "Why aren't you back at camp?"

"Well with that guy who was dying, I just couldn't listen anymore." Bellamy gave Avery a look, telling her that he wanted this to prove he was right. And it kind of did. Avery looked down, ashamed. She knew if it was anyone but Jasper in that situation she would have agreed with Bellamy.

"There's grounders out here," Atom said, from behind them. "It's too dangerous for a little girl."

"Hey." Avery cut him off. "She's not little." She bent down next to the girl, who smiled at her.

"Okay, then." Bellamy said, smiling at the interaction. He reached for the spare knife in his pocket. "But you can't hunt without a weapon." He held the knife out, and Charlotte took it from him, looking satisfied.

"Ever killed something before?" Avery asked her. Charlotte shook her head.

"Who knows?" Bellamy said. "Maybe you're good at it." Charlotte smiled, and Avery and Bellamy turned and walked deeper into the woods. They let Charlotte follow them.

That was mistake number one.

Mistake number two came when a loud horn sounded through the forest causing the group to look up. Then, the yellow fog began making its way through the forest.

"Run." Bellamy yelled, and ran. He grabbed Charlotte's hand as he ran, Avery running close behind them. The fog almost looked like it was catching up when Avery spotted a cave.

"In here!" She pulled Bellamy and Charlotte into it, all of them gasping for air.

"Bellamy." They heard a yell from the forest. Atom hadn't made it to safety.

"Atom!" Bellamy yelled back, and he moved to leave the cave. Avery stopped him by grabbing his shoulders and putting his face in front of hers. Bellamy started to panic and pushed against Avery to try to get out of the door.

"Bellamy." She spoke strongly. "Bellamy, hey. Bellamy!" He finally looked at her, tears in his eyes. "There's nothing you can do. If you go back out there, you die. Everyone at camp needs you alive." She took her hands off of his shoulders when she was sure he heard her, and let him sink down to the floor of the cave.

They slept next to each other. Charlotte was on a rock further into the cave, with Bellamy and Avery sleeping about a foot apart on the ground a good ten feet away from her.

"No, no!" Charlotte yelled, causing Bellamy to jerk awake and Avery to stir. Avery was awake, but didn't move because, truthfully, she had no idea how she could help the young girl. She also wanted to see what Bellamy would do.