seven: control

"Oh feel our bodies grow
And our souls they play, yeah
"

can't pretend by tom odell

Octavia turned around when she heard the commotion on the other side of camp. She had been sitting with Atom by the fire for a little while, their hands laced together.

"They're back!" Someone from the other side of camp yelled. Octavia jumped up from her spot by the fire and ran towards the front gate, where Avery and Finn carried Jasper's arms on each of their shoulders.

"Is he- ?" Monty didn't even want to finish the sentence he started. He and Jasper were like brothers, and he couldn't bear to see him hurt.

"He's alive." Clarke finished his sentence for him, and Monty sighed with relief. Avery handed Jasper off fully to Finn, who carried him into the dropship bridal style. He was closely followed by Octavia, who was checking to see that Jasper was okay.

"I need boiled water and strips of cloth for bandage." Clarke ordered. Avery ran to get the water.

Across camp, Bellamy and Murphy came in the gate carrying the panther's body wrapped in a sheet. They dropped it to the ground in front of the fire and rolled the body out, so it was visible to the crowd forming around them. Bellamy smiled.

"Who's hungry?!" He yelled, and the crowd cheered with him. Octavia smiled, standing beside him. Bellamy basked in the cheers for a moment, looking up at the sky. He then looked to the door of the dropship, where Avery was standing, watching the scene unfold. She held a cup of boiling water in her hand. He gave her a little smile, and she nodded back before disappearing into the dropship once again.

She gave Clarke the water, and walked over to Monty, who was sitting on the other side of the dropship with his head in his hands. Avery lowered herself to the floor on his right and put her arm gently around him.

"He'll be okay." Avery told him. Monty looked at her, tears shining in his eyes.

"Yeah, but what if he's not." Monty asked her, his voice quiet.

"He will be." She emphasized the word will and her grip on Monty's shoulder tightened.

They sat there for a while, just in each other's company, occasionally telling a stupid story about Jasper. It seemed all of the stories they had from the Ark were of Jasper doing something stupid to almost get them caught. How ironic that Monty was the one that ended up actually getting them locked up.

After her talk with Monty and helping Clarke dress some of Jasper's wounds, Avery exited the dropship to stand with Finn and Clarke and look at the crowd.

"He's stable for now." Clarke told Finn. "But without medicine..." Her sentence trailed off. She made eye contact with Avery.

"I'll see what I can do." Avery told the blonde. They both turned to look at the campfire in front of them and noticed what Bellamy was doing.

"They're taking their wristbands off for food?" Clarke sounded pissed. "No way. I won't do it."

"You don't have to." Avery responded to her, and walked up to Bellamy and the food, Clarke and Finn following behind her.

"Whoa, whoa." Murphy said. Apparently he was guarding the food. "Wait, wait, wait. What, you think you play by different rules?" He asked as she grabbed for the meat.

"I thought there were no rules." She replied, and grabbed two sticks of meat to share between the three people. Murphy looked shocked at her answer, and she smiled smugly as she brought both Clarke and Finn their food.