thirty-one: camp jaha

"You couldn't even look me in the eye
When you let me go and then left me to die
There was no question that I would survive"

middle finger by bohnes

A day later, when they finally made it back to the gate, Avery could barely stand. She leaned against Bellamy's shoulders, although that truly did not give him enough credit. He was almost fully carrying her, as her body was largely dead weight. Octavia assumed the wound on her shoulder was infected, and her body was extremely feverish.

But Avery couldn't help but admire the structure in front of her. The Ark, in all its glory, was on the ground. The full piece that had survived was a few stories high, and towered over the nearby trees. Behind the electric fence surrounding the camp, she saw people milling about. People from the Ark. And then she saw the guards.

The second they walked through the gate, their weapons were confiscated. Avery watched the look of detain cross Bellamy and Octavia's faces and the subtle smirk of the guards. It was like going right back to the Ark. Hopefully, it wouldn't be like that forever.

Abby Griffin approached them first, and came close to the girl from Factory Station that Bellamy had rescued on the side of the cliff. She asked her a few questions before sending both her and Monroe to medical. Then, her gaze moved to Avery.

"Avery King." She sounded surprised. "Clarke said you were -"

Before she could get another word in, a body pushed past Abby and went flying into both Avery and Bellamy. It took Avery a dazed second to realise who was in her arms.

Clarke Griffin.

The blonde wrapped an arm around Avery's shoulders and another around Bellamy's. She let out a small sob.

"Oh, thank God." Avery whispered. The trio stayed like that for a moment, soaking in the fact that they were all alive.

As soon as Clarke pulled away, Avery was able to take in her appearance. Clarke had thick cuts all over her face that certainly hadn't been there when the grounders attacked. Clarke sent Avery a concerned look at her appearance, which she brushed off with a weak wave of her hand. Clarke gave Octavia a long hug as well, before stepping back.

"Avery," Clarke greeted, speaking quickly. "Monty and Jasper, they're alive." Avery let out a small sob and smiled in relief.

"Kane?" Avery asked, almost afraid to know the answer.

"He went to try to negotiate with the grounders." Clarke said solemnly. "He's trying to make peace."

Before she could even process that fact, another body was attacking Avery.

"Reyes." She breathed into her friend's shoulder.

"King." Raven acknowledged back, before stepping back to let the leader speak.

"How many are with you?" Avery asked Clarke, desperate to know where their people were.

"None." Clarke replied. Their faces fell. Clarke looked around the circle and Avery had a sinking feeling in her gut. "Where's Finn?" Clarke asked.

"Looking for you." Bellamy answered, regret evident on his face. Clarke's face fell. Avery let out a small sigh.

They were in deep shit, but at least they had Clarke and Raven back.

"I hate to break up the reunion." Avery said, and Clarke noticed the slight slur in her voice for the first time. "But I can't feel my feet." She leaned further into Bellamy, who sent Clarke another worried look concerning Avery's condition.