thirty-five: saving lincoln

"When I can't breathe, I won't ask you to stop
When I can't breathe, don't call for a cop"

rip 2 my youth by the neighborhood (again)

"He's convulsing." Clarke pointed out as Lincoln let out more impossibly loud screams and started to sink to the ground. The energy in the room was tense, but the teenagers were trying to keep the ball rolling. If they stopped, they'd have to feel it.

"So, what does it mean?" Octavia asked anxiously, flinching each time Lincoln let out another gut-wrenching sound.

"Withdrawal." Avery said, and Clarke nodded along with her. "But from what?"

Clarke looked to Avery, questioning her knowledge. Avery just shrugged, biting her lip and clenching her jaw in annoyance. She had no more of an idea of what this was then Clarke did, and much less of an idea about how to stop it.

In order to observe his neck further, Clarke moved toward the man.

"What happened to his leg?" She asked, her eyes widening. Avery flinched back, but stepped forward with a clenched jaw nonetheless.

"I shot him." Avery said, avoiding Octavia's eyes. Clarke simply nodded, and returned to examining the man.

"Clarke, he's lost a lot of blood." Bellamy said, clenching his hands in frustration. Clarke moved to step forward again, getting closer and closer to Lincoln's convulsing frame. She flinched back when he made a move toward her, but the rope seemed safe enough.

"Shine the light on his neck!" She called. Octavia quickly turned on her flashlight, fumbling for a moment before the light illuminated Lincoln's neck. Avery stepped closer to Clarke to examine the marks.

"Well we know how it was administered." Avery said, her eyebrows furrowed. She shared a concerned look with Clarke.

"Can you undo it?" Octavia asked, sounding more helpless than Avery could ever recall.

"Not undo it." Avery said, sending an apologetic look to her friend. "Needles are the quickest way to get something strong into the system. But if he survives withdrawal, there's a chance -"

Before she could even finish speaking, the cable chaining Lincoln's right arm to the wall broke, and the man lunged forward. He grabbed Clarke by the shoulders, pulling her into him with his right arm as he managed to dislodge the chain holding his left arm as well.

Avery ran forward, ramming her shoulders into his left side. Lincoln loosened his grip on Clarke, but knocked Avery into the side of the dropship a few feet away. She slammed into the wall with her hands. Her weight was evenly distributed, so the worst injury she sustained was to her slightly bruised palms.

Avery looked back up at the fight to see Octavia get pushed away by Lincoln and Bellamy lunging toward the man. Avery mentally cringed as Bellamy got in a punch, praying that he didn't re-injure himself for what felt like the millionth time in the last few days. He continued to punch Lincoln, trying to get him to let go of Clarke, but his energy was fading.

Lincoln managed to throw Bellamy off of him, but threw Clarke off as well. Avery pulled herself up from the floor, her jaw clenched. She knew it wasn't really Lincoln, but she was still hurt enough to be pissed off.

"Bell!" She yelled at her boyfriend from his place on the floor. "Baton!"

Bellamy complied, tossing Avery the baton as he started to push himself back up from the ground.

Avery moved closer to Lincoln. The man had gotten through his arm restraints, but was still restrained around the middle and his legs. If Avery didn't get within his arm reach, he couldn't do much damage to her. Moving quickly, Avery extended the shock baton in her right hand, turning it on with a click.