fifty-three: a promise kept

"how can i put it down into words?
when it's almost too much for my soul alone
"

hurts like hell by fleurie

Bellamy Blake loved Avery King.

There wasn't any doubt in his mind. And the fact scared him, sure. But it didn't scare him half as much as the idea of losing her.

Bellamy Blake had never been more afraid of losing Avery than he was when Monty told him the guards knew about the harvest chamber. As usual, Avery had seen something coming that no one else had: Lexa's betrayal. Bellamy was willing to bet that was why Mount Weather knew about their plans in the chamber. And now Avery was doing what she did best: risk her life.

Bellamy knew it was what she had to do. She was their leader, their King. And her tendency toward self-sacrifice helped her in that role.

But he was also too selfish to care.

The first logical place for him, Jasper, and Maya to go after they found Monty was the harvest chamber. That's where Bellamy had sent their people.

That's where he'd told Avery to go if shit hit the fan. And shit had most definitely hit the fan.

So when Bellamy opened that door, he expected to find her body.

Somehow the pile of blood-covered flowers about a meter away from Vincent's dead body was worse.

Bellamy heard Maya's sobs. Watched her kneel down next to her father, cradling his head in her arms. Jasper touched her back softly, as if there was something he could do. But Bellamy's eyes were still glued to that bloody pile.

He knew there was a half-chance Cage Wallace was playing tricks on him. That Avery wasn't hurt. That she wasn't dying. But if Wallace was taunting him, the little charade meant she was about to.

Before he could stop himself, Bellamy moved for the door.

And before he could think about leaving, Jasper was in front of him.

"Bellamy." He said with tear-filled eyes. "I know what you're thinking."

"How can you?" Bellamy seethed, letting out something between a sob and a yell. "How can you know what I'm thinking?"

"Avery-" Jasper started, but Bellamy cut him off.

"Is dead." Bellamy 's voice was barely a whisper. "She's dead. And I'm going to kill Cage Wallace."

Bellamy started toward the door again, but so did Jasper. The boy stood in front of him, his hand outstretched. Bellamy was tempted to swat it away and run toward Cage's office to try and shoot him directly in the head. But before he could, Jasper spoke again.

"No." He said, his voice almost eerily even and calm. "We're going to kill Cage Wallace."

Bellamy thought it over for a moment. He paced back and forth slightly, trying to get his thoughts straight. Trying to find some semblance of a plan amidst all the chaos. He never did understand how Avery did it. How she saw so clearly when the world spun so fast.

"She wouldn't want you to die for her." Monty said quietly, when he was pretty sure only Bellamy could hear.

Bellamy knew that. He did.

Avery King made him promise to protect their people.

Even after she was gone.

"Oh," He thought to himself. It seemed almost fated. "That's what she meant."

The dilemma felt like the hole in his chest was spinning, squeezing. Bellamy felt like he might just collapse with the weight of it.

Bellamy realised that he wanted more than anything to die with her. It wasn't right, and it certainly wasn't healthy, but it was the truth.

Bellamy Blake was so in love with Avery King that he couldn't see himself living in the world without her beside him. It was poetically stupid, and Avery would kill him for thinking it.

But Bellamy also loved her too much to break their promise. To put her above everyone else.

Loving her was going to mean watching her die.

This was it. This was the moment Avery warned him about.

So Bellamy Blake picked himself up, turned around, and walked toward the reaper tunnels. Away from Cage Wallace's office. Away from the girl he loved.

But he was still going to save her. He was just going to do it the old fashioned way. He was going to do it with Monty and Jasper by his side. They were going to knock Cage Wallace of off his pedestal. No matter how much it cost them.

And to do that, Bellamy needed someone just as fucking stubborn as Avery.

Clarke Griffin.