twenty-three: love in war

[this is the closest thing to smut I will ever write. you have been warned.]

"So tell me
Why this has to be
So heavy?"

"Honestly,
I think it has to be this heavy."

heavy by orla gartland

Avery didn't kill Murphy that night. Or the next night. Or the night after that.

She was a bit preoccupied with three things. The first was getting the wall built and her people prepared for war. The hardest one, but the most necessary in her eyes. She'd started making landmines with Raven, planning to bomb the grounders to hell if they ever got near the camp.

The second was hunting. That morning, strangely enough, their stash of meat was burnt down with Murphy inside. He wasn't dead, although part of Avery knew it would have been easier that way. She spent a while deliberating some way he could have burned it down himself.

Unfortunately, Octavia saw the other delinquent accompanying them add too much wood to the fire. Thankfully, Octavia wasn't injured. But it meant they had to go hunting for more food.

"We can't defend ourselves if we're starving." Clarke had said and Avery agreed with her. Bellamy went along with the plan reluctantly, but led most of the delinquents into the woods anyway. Clarke and Finn followed behind him while Avery and a small group stayed behind to keep watch and continue war preparations.

Oh yeah, and the third thing preoccupying her. Bellamy fucking Blake. Some more things had happened that night. But they hadn't talked about it. As usual, there were more important things to be doing. But not even impending war stopped her from thinking about him in her rare free moments.

He was thinking about her too. Octavia and Miller knew it by the looks they sent each other's way throughout the day. Most of the other delinquents likely missed it, and without knowing the two of them personally, there would be no way to distinguish the looks they shared as compared to before. Predictably, Miller almost said something about it, but was quickly hindered by an elbow to the gut from Octavia.

But as the crickets chirped around her, Avery King stood by the wall of the camp, watching late afternoon turn into night. She was waiting for people to get back from hunting, for something to happen. For the first time in days, the fact that nothing was happening left her alone with her thoughts.

It wasn't for long, but it gave her enough time to decide what she wanted. She wanted to be with Bellamy. For as long as she could before their inevitable deaths. Making the most of whatever time they had left.

She grinned to herself, staring out into the abyss of the forest. It was beautiful. Too bad it was trying to kill them. She kept watching until the groups started to come back with the food. She got many greetings as they walked past her and into the camp. She nodded back at them, glad they had fuel to help them fight when the time came.

"The hunters are back?" She heard Raven question. "Is Finn with them?" Avery moved towards her friend's voice to see she was talking to Murphy.

"I don't think so." Murphy said, in typical Murphy fashion. Avery could see the smirk forming as she walked closer to the conversion. "Hey, relax. I'm sure Clarke's keeping him out of trouble."

"Shut up, Murphy." Avery said, smirking slightly when she saw Murphy's mildly afraid expression. She then turned the corner of the dropship and made her way to Bellamy's designated "fighting pit".

Avery had protested calling it that, but, as Miller pointed out, "What else were they gonna call it?" That was what it was. They needed training, and that was how they got it.