nine: some secrets are better kept secret

"For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide. Because you're mine, I walk the line"

i walk the line by halsey

Avery awoke the next morning to the news that Jasper was awake. She practically launched herself out of bed when Miller came in to deliver the news and sprinted into the dropship.

"Jasper!" She said, hugging him gently. "Man you look like shit." She laughed, and so did Jasper and Monty, who were also sitting in the dropship.

"Yeah, well, you should see the other guy." He laughed back at her, despite the pained look on his face.

"Jasper, that makes no sense." Monty rolled his eyes. "You're sure you're alright? The grounder didn't hit your head or something?" Avery and Jasper laughed at their friend.

"I don't think so." Jasper laughed again. The three continued their conversation until a very worried looking Finn came running into the dropship.

"Guys," He said, mostly to Avery. "We've got a situation." Avery stood up and made her way towards the entrance to the dropship. She made eye contact with Monty, and his eyes told her that he would keep an eye on Jasper.

"What's going on-" She stopped when Clarke came into the dropship, tears running down her face. "What-" Finn took her arm and moved her outside of the dropship.

"We found Wells' body outside of camp last night." Avery's hand flew to her mouth. She hated Jaha as much as the next guy, but Wells didn't deserve to die. "We think it was the grounders. Clarke's pretty torn up about it." He ran his hand through his hair.

Avery put her hand on his shoulder in comfort. He wasn't grieving for Wells, but she assumed seeing Clarke in pain didn't feel good. It didn't feel good for her either.

If only that was the worst news Avery would hear that day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"This section should be finished by tomorrow." Avery heard Murphy tell Bellamy as she walked up behind them. Murphy gave her a weird look when he saw her, and Bellamy just nodded. She gave him a small smile, it had been a tough morning for everyone.

As Avery turned to look at the people building the wall, one of the boys from Bellamy's crew collapsed while he was carrying a log. He looked tired, but then again, they all were.

"Hey!" Murphy yelled, walking towards him. "You think the grounders are just going to sit around and wait for us to finish the wall?" Murphy was being nasty, as usual, and Avery gave Bellamy a look. She didn't know why he trusted the idiot. He just shrugged back. "Maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you, huh?" Murphy gestured towards Charlotte, who was tying two ends of a rope together around a bundle of trees.

"I just need some water, okay?" He sounded out of breath. "Then I'll be fine." Avery and Bellamy approached Murphy again. Bellamy turned to Murphy.

"Get this guy some water." Bellamy turned to help pick up the log that still needed to be carried across camp. "You got this?" He asked Charlotte, who almost moved to help but stopped when Bellamy let out a little laugh. "I'm just kidding." He told her, and carried the log away. Avery smiled at him as he walked away. For such an asshole, he was really good with kids. Avery walked back to her tent and continued crushing medicinal plants to attempt to recreate the poultice on Jasper's wound.

Bellamy opened the flap of her tent a few minutes later.

"Hey." He greeted and then stopped to look around in awe of the amount of plants Avery had growing in her small tent. "I see you've been busy." He pointed out. Avery laughed.