Chapter 39

I couldn't find the right picture for this chapter. Sorry. :( 

Michelangelo POV

Immediately after the room went silent, everything changed. No one dared breathe, for they were too afraid that if the silence was interrupted, then a certain blue clad turtle would completely lose it.

Leonardo wasn’t responding. His face held an eerie look as it stared into Alexa’s dead eyes. I was utterly confused as to why he was just sitting there. Surely I’d expected a tear to have slipped, but there was nothing. A sudden urge to step forward and make sure he was okay washed over me. But a hand on my shoulder held me back. I looked into the bright green eyes of Raphael and knew I shouldn’t try to help.

As if on cue, Leo’s shoulders rose heavily. His hands covered his face as he brought his head down on her chest. A muffled sob shattered the lingering silence. The brave, fearless leader was bent over his dead wife; his breathing labored from the excessive amount of tears that had erupted. It was a sight one would see in a horror film, or at least an emotional one.

Tears pricked the back of my vision, and I let them fall. Now was not the time to hide the true emotions we all felt bubbling in our cores. Next to me, Raph sniffled. And on the other side of the table, behind a destroyed Leo, stood a silent Donnie. His fingers repeatedly wiped away fresh waves of tears. The baby in his one arm was still. It’s crying had thankfully subsided. Usually, I was the first one to welcome something into the world, but now, I could only stand there. My fists clenched and unclenched as I tried my hardest to avoid balling.

The seconds seemed to drag on for hours, even though only about a minute had passed since the last beep on the monitor could be heard.

Alexa POV

Weightless. Relieved. Freedom. Confusion.

All feelings that swarmed throughout. I took my last breath on the lab table, and then I felt myself being lifted. I gazed back around and saw the guys, still in their previous positions. Every one of them was entirely motionless.

Then, I saw my dead body. Blood soaked the sheets surrounding my lower half. My face had never been so pale. My dead eyes stared up into my now alive ones.

Now, I feel broken. I am dead, and have left the world of the living. Leo and my family are alone with the baby. I wasn’t strong enough to hold on for a few moments more. I feel useless. I get the urge to cry, but I can feel no tears produce. I want to throw a fit; to thrash and scream and completely wake up from this outside-of-body experience. I want to survive. But I can’t.  

“Alexa.”

I was floating, so I whirled around to the source of the sound. The voice sounded so familiar; I could place it instantly.

Mom.

The atmosphere morphs. Completely from that of Donnie’s lab, to golden clouds materializing at our feet. It is just us.

My mother has white, feathery wings that trail along the clouds behind her. The smile on her face adds to the sheer beauty illuminating around her. She wears a pale, cream-colored dress that looks very similar to her wings.

I stand there, frozen in shock. It isn’t until she raises her arms and beckons me to come close that I dart to her outstretched arms. My fingers brush against the feathers attached to her back. They are the softest thing I’ve ever felt. I can’t help but stare in awe. Mother’s arms squeeze me tighter, snapping me out of my gaze. I fully return the hug and after a few precious moments, we separate.

“A-Am I really... dead?” the word feels so foreign rolling off the tip of my tongue.

Her smile grows, which leaves a questioning look spread over my face. “You are dead at the moment.”