Chapter 37

Alexa POV

Sunlight streams through the crack in between both curtains hanging over the window, blinding me when I open my eyes the first time that morning. I yawn and stretch my entire body out. When I do so, I presence of my husband is missing from beside me. I sit up and scan the room; he is nowhere to be found. I unfold myself from the sheets and saunter around the cabin.

When I reach the kitchen, the stove is on and there are pots and pans strewn across the counter, but still no Leo. It smells like breakfast food is cooking. I lift the lids of the pot and see various ingredients floating around in a creamy broth. The smell fills my nostrils and it reminds me of my stomach growling ever since I woke up.

“Leo?” I call. My voice travels around the house. As my eyes sweep over the living room one more time, I realize the door is slightly cracked open. That explains the sudden change in room temperature.

I push the door fully open and come to the conclusion that either Leo is outside for no important reason, or that someone (or a bear maybe) came and turtle-napped him.

“Alexa? What are you doing with the door wide open?” Leo’s voice sounds from behind me. I nearly jump out of my skin; I try to keep my shriek to a minimal volume, but it persists on bellowing out of me. I place my hand over my racing heart and glare at Leo.

“You scared me half to death. Where were you just now? The door was cracked open and so I assumed you were outside, but I didn’t see you and...” I cut my sentence off short because I’m hoping he understands my reasoning by now.

“I’m sorry I startled you, and yes, I was outside, but only because I thought I saw something,” he too trails off. His eyes keep flickering towards the window over the sink, like he’s waiting for something to appear out of thin air.

“What did you see?” I ask, walking closer to him.

He doesn’t answer after a couple seconds; his focus is still on the window. My eyebrows furrow as I stand on my tiptoes to attempt to get to eye level with him. I have to snap my fingers in his face and repeat his name once or twice before he finally looks at me.

His eyes widen abruptly. “I’m so sorry, Alexa. I just... I don’t know, really. It must’ve been my imagination.” He rubs the back of his head, while giving me a sheepish look.

“Well, you weren’t answering me for a several seconds; you got me worried there,” I let out a soft laugh to try to ease the tension I feel surrounding me.

He returns the laugh. It seems a little forced, which concerns me more. But I don’t say anything about it. I’ll have to keep an eye on him.

*

“Breakfast is served,” Leo attempts to pull off a British accent, but fails, which makes me burst out laughing.

“Nice try, though,” I place my hand on his shoulder while he sets my plate of food down in front of me. “Yum, Leo, this looks delicious!” I contemplate the food.

“Thanks, I never knew I would be able to get a compliment from you on my cooking,” he says.

“What do you mean? I would always compliment you, because you are amazing at basically everything you do,” I playfully poke him in the arm.

“Oh,” his voice changes seductively. “So you think I’m amazing at doing this.”

Before a single word could escape my lips, Leo tore me out of my seat at the table. He threw me over his shoulder, while I screamed. His hand rested on my butt as he began walking to what I am guessing is the couch. My guess is correct because he hurls me back over his shoulder and I land directly on the couch. The wind that wasn’t knocked out of me when I landed on the cushion was, completely, when Leo pounced on me and smashed his lips to mine. His hands went on either side of me, to hold his body up off of me. Slowly, one brushed up my thigh while the other cradled my head. I wrapped both of my legs around his torso. He placed his hand on my butt, again, while he lifted us both up, so he was walking us both to our room. We resumed the intimacy on the bed. Where we all know where it led to after that...