Chapter 38

Sorry for the repeating hella long chapters :/

Alexa POV

Hushed voices occupy the area around me. It sounds like one of the voices is trying to raise their voice and the other is trying to prevent their tones from getting too audible. I can't open my eyes.

The unidentifiable pain in my stomach has gone down immensely; it feels like the pain was never there in the first place, but I know for sure that it was definitely there. The memories flood my brain, making my brows furrow in panic, even though I'm still technically asleep. I want to wake up, but the voices I'm hearing are persuading me to pretend I'm unconscious still so I can eavesdrop for a longer time. If I suddenly wake up, their conversation will come to a halt.

"What do you mean I poisoned her?!" the voice is so muffled, I can barely hear it from where I'm laying, but I know for a fact that the voice belongs to Leo.

A zap of anxiety shoots up from my core. Poison? The mere thought makes my stomach twist into dozens of knots.

"I mean, you were acting weird, so something must've happened to you, and then you probably put something in those eggs, which caused her stomach to hurt excruciatingly, yet you didn't do anything about it, so you must've been in some sort of hallucination," another voice, much calmer than Leo's explains. Donnie.

The semi faded memory of that morning comes to mind. I don't remember what they tasted like, only that they tasted awful.

I faint sigh comes from Leo. If Donnie is correct about the whole hallucination and poisoning me thing, then I can't begin to describe how Leo must be feeling.

"What am I supposed to tell her when she wakes up? Hey honey, I hate to break this to you but I poisoned you and therefore ruined the rest of the honeymoon?"

My heart drops at his words. Our honeymoon is over. It only lasted about two days, where we had planned to stop at seven days.

I can't stand it much longer. I muster up all my strength and fling my eyes open. I don't wait another second when I swing my legs over the edge of the lab table I was laying on and completely sit up. Donnie and Leo rush over to me in an instant.

Their questions swarm me. I try to answer to the best of my ability, but I can only manage an, "I'm okay, I feel fine now."

They seem to simmer down, and when they finally do, it is my turn to ask the questions.

"How long was I out?"

"Three days; you were exhausted."

"What happened after I blacked out?"

"I don't remember; all I know is that I found you lying unconscious on the bed with glass scattered on the floor."

I flinch at the recollection of the scenes swirling around in my head. Leo's maniacal laughter. Him shattering the glass with one hand.

"Why were you acting so strange? It was freaking me the heck out and I didn't know what to do and I-" my rambling is cut off by a finger to my lips.

"That's the part we're still trying to figure out." Leo rubs the back of his neck, while averting his gaze from mine. "Donnie said I must've been in some sort of trance-like state because I couldn't connect to reality around me. He also thinks that this trance made me... poison you, with the eggs," Leo explains. The distressed glint in his eyes gives away the weariness I know he is feeling on the inside.

I try to act shocked upon hearing this new information, even though I heard it only a few minutes ago.

"Well, you were mysteriously outside when I woke up that morning, so something must've happened to you out there that you can't seem to remember," I suggest, even though it comes out as more of a true statement. I know something happened to him that I didn't know of. The strange things began happening immediately upon him walking back inside. Just then, something else sprouts into mind, "you also said how you were outside because you saw something, that's when everything went downhill."