Chapter 9 - Part 1

Alexa POV

After April closed the manhole cover, I got a good whiff of the city scents. It was the usual scent of smoke, trash, and a hint of pizza.

"I love being topside but the smell isn't my favorite," I spoke as I started walking out of the alley.

"I know right, I guess the smell gets better once you get to a more populated area of the city," she explained.

I slowed my pace so I could let her catch up to me.

"Where to first?" I asked as I looked around at all the shops that were just now opening for the day.

"We are close to the local mall so I thought we could try that place first," April smiled.

"Yeah, that sounds good," I replied.

"So... have you ever been shopping? I know it's a weird question and all but I heard from Donnie that you lost your mother, I'm sorry for your loss," she said warily.

"Um, I have been shopping, with my mom a lot, but with other girls my age... not really, and its fine, the guys are really helping me forget that day she died," I bit my lip and looked the other direction.

"If they're helping you, then that's good... my dad was kidnapped several months ago, it felt like my whole world crumbled down on me, but they saved him and he was back with me until..." her expression turned grave, "he was mutated into a bat."

"Oh, I'm sorry that happened," I gently placed a hand on her arm.

"But Donnie found a retromutagen, and after a tedious adventure with them, we finally fixed him," she smiled gratefully.

I didn't say anything after that, only smiled. April has been through a lot in her past. I thought it was only me.

"We are actually mroe alike than I thought," she broke the silence that was drifting over both of us.

"What do you mean?" I asked, looking over at her.

"We both had tragic things happen to us, but after those things occured, things got better-" April started saying, but I cut her off.

"Except you got your dad back! While on the other hand, I didn't get my mom back! I will never, ever get my mom back!" I bellowed at her. I hands balled up into fists as I took a couple steps back from her. I didn't mean my sudden outburst, it just happened. And I regret it because her eyes widened and her lips parted.

"I... I-" I couldn't even form words at the moment. God, I had just blown yet another friendship. I quickly turned away from her shocked figure. I squeezed my eyes shut and took a couple deep breaths. My mom had told me to count to ten over and over again if I ever got too angry. It helped. Pretty soon, I was at 30, when I finally reopened my eyes and faced her again.

"I'm sorry, please forgive me," I pleaded. My hands formed a praying motion as I observed her reaction, what she was going to do next.