Chapter 4

Alexa POV

Running away from a hospital wasn't my smartest idea ever, but at least I was free. I know that there were cameras everywhere and I know that if no people saw me leave, then the cameras had to pick me up so they know I escaped on my own.

It was later at night but there were people still on the streets and sidewalks, who were unfortunately noticing me not in regular clothes. I had to change but I didn't have any money. I was at a loss for everything. I didn't know where to go. I felt like I was in the movie Home Alone: Lost in New York. Except Kevin actually had a cradit card and money, I didn't.

I walked the sidewalks a little bit, just to get far away from the hospital. I knew that somebody would notice that I was gone and notify the police, but I didn't care. After all, I didn't have anything to live for, didn't have anyone or any place to stay.

I looked up and saw a man in a window, surrounded by light pink walls. He looked happy, as he was twirling a little girl around in his arms. Then he kissed her on the forehead and set her down so she wasn't in sight anymore. Then the lights turned off and that was the last I saw of them.

It made me smile, thinking of happier times. When my mother was still alive. I frown of what she is now, but push the thought deep in my mind and think of the situation at hand. I have to find either shelter, or money. I know I won't find money anywhere close to easy, but anything could happen.

The air was breezy on my skin, since the white gown did little to keep me out of the cold. My legs, arms, and feet are bare. With only my medium-length blonde hair covering the back of my neck. The lights of the street lamps were the only thing that was keeping the world around me visible. I passed a couple alleys, that were all covered in trash and sewer water. When I passed a narrower alley with only one dumpster, I decided to go in it and rest for the night. I walked around the area, looking for aynthing out of the ordinary and for a place to lie down. After circling the perimeter, I found a nice spot behind the dumpster to sit down. I hugged my knees to my chest and zoned at a brick wall for about 20 seconds before I heard some laughter coming from muffled voices.

I squished myself against the dumpster even more and held my breath. It felt like it was getting closer, like the people were entering the same alley I was in. I shut my eyes and hoped for the best.

"Guys, did you see the looks on their faces? Priceless!" it sounded like a man, maybe late twenties.

"Yes, but did you see the way they were trembling in terror, huh, classic!" another voice called, this one more deeper.

"Yes, it was all music to my ears, now keep it down before anyone hears us!" yet another voice could be heard. How many men were here? I didn't realize how much I was shaking until I reminded myself to breathe.

I didn't hear much after that, so I thought they had left. I was wrong. I let myself relax a little, but not entirely.

"Well lookie, lookie, what we have here," they appeared out of nowhere.

I gasped as the three men started walking towards me, enclosing me between their bodies and the wall behind me. I had no idea how they knew I was there. Its not like I made any sudden movements that would alert them to my hiding place. They had lots of tattoos that looked like dragons and shapes of different things. My eyes were wide with fear as they grinned evilly at me. I immediately scrambled to my feet, pressing my hands to the cold brick wall behind me.