Chapter 38: Heartbreaker

Dara opened her eyes to an unfamiliar room. She paused for a moment trying to think about what happened last night.

Right... Dara bit her lower lip. I run away last night.

She rubbed her sore eyes and slowly sat up on the bed. She took a deep breath as she tries to nurse a headache from crying for hours the minute Chaerin hugged her at the airport.

Japan. Dara muttered. She looked at the bedside table and saw her cell phone that she turned off last night before her flight. She never turned it back on and probably will never do for awhile.

“Omo!” Dara was surprised to see Chaerin asleep on the chair next to her bed. She sure is lucky to have Chaerin as a sister. Dara slowly got up from the bed and covered her with a blanket. Chaerin snuggled up in the warm blanket, still fast asleep.

Dara decided to go downstairs after washing up to greet her stepdad, Tablo. It’s been awhile since she last saw him. She passed by the kitchen and saw her Mom, Hye Jung, busy preparing breakfast.

Gulp.

It looks like it’s going to be just plain toast for her. As much as she loves her Mom, she doesn’t want to spend the rest of her day in the bathroom.

“Dara, welcome home my dear.” Tablo gave her a warm smile. They hugged each other and started walking in the garden.

“It’s so nice to have all of you kids back home.”

Dara paused. “Is Seungri back?”

He shook his head. “He called last night. He was so worried about you. He said he’s taking the earliest flight to Japan today.”

“He shouldn’t have. I didn’t want to burden him.”

“Your brother will do anything for you, Dara. It’s his happiness to be of help to his family.”

Dara worriedly looked at the koi pond. They’re now standing in the middle of the bridge in their garden. She can feel that her dad wants to know what happened.

“It’s Jiyong.” Dara broke the silence. Her dad earned the right to know. He has always been there for her even though he’s just her stepfather. He treated her like his own and loved her mom like no one else can.

“Please don’t tell Mom what I’m about to tell you. I don’t want to cause her anymore problems.” She put her elbows on the rail of the bridge and covered her face with her hands.

Tablo stood next to her and rested his hands on the rail, watching a fallen gingko leaf float. He sighed, feeling the heavy burden in his daughter’s heart.

“I’m afraid it’s too late for that. She already called Bom last night when you and Chaerin locked yourselves up in the room without telling her anything.”