Tell Me We're Okay

Warnings: Angst, profanity

Word Count: 1958

Request: please please please do a Level Of Concern type chapter!

Author's Note: I tried to balance scenes from the lyrics and scenes from the music video so that I could capture all of Level of Concern! Also, requests will be opening on Friday, so start thinking of ideas :) I hope you enjoy this one!

*     *     *

Your foot tapped nervously against the tile floors. You already had one hand tightly gripped around the straps of your backpack, ready to pull it up over your shoulder as soon as you got the ok to leave. Class was supposed to end nearly five minutes ago, but your professor was still droning on. At this rate, you were going to miss your normal bus home and end up waiting fifteen minutes in the rain for the next one.

"Sir? Class is over," someone hesitantly said, their hand barely raised over their head.

Thank you, random classmate.

"Is it? Oh, look at the time! We'll finish this next week. Thank you."

You shot out of your seat, pulling your backpack over your shoulder as you weaved through the other students who were still packing up their things. If you were fast, you could probably still make it the two blocks down to the bus stop in time.

To your surprise, Tyler was standing just outside the classroom, his back pressed to the plain white wall. He looked up when he heard the door open, a smile instantly lighting up his face. In one fluid motion, he picked up his backpack from where it was sitting on the ground and fell into step with you.

"I was wondering where you were," he said, a smile still plastered on his face. "I got here like twenty minutes ago."

"Sorry, class ran late," you said, as if it were your fault. "Did you need something?"

"Um, I did actually. That's why I waited out here to talk to you."

You didn't have time for his lengthy explanations. "Can you make it quick, Ty? I really need to make sure I don't miss the bus."

"Yeah, ok. So, basically, my music professor wants us to film a video for a piece that we wrote earlier in the semester. I've been brainstorming all week and I haven't come up with any video ideas that I like and I'm starting to get really stressed out because we only have a few days left. Plus, there's this girl in my class - Julie - who already did hers and it's really good. I don't know if I can live up to that. I even called Mark to help but he's out of town this week so he can't."

You pulled your hood up before pushing open the metal door that separated the stairwell from the outside world. The sound of rain splashing against the pavement instantly filled your ears, making it more difficult to hear Tyler. He was still rambling on about his project.

"What I'm trying to get at is that I was wondering if you had any ideas?"

"Ty, listen," you stopped walking for just a moment, "I would love to help, but I don't have time to sit here and help you brainstorm. I need to catch my bus so I don't end up stuck in the pouring rain for twenty minutes. I'll call you later, alright?"

Tyler's face fell, but he nodded slowly. "Cool. See you later."

You gave him a quick kiss and turned just in time to see the bus come over the hill up ahead. With rain splashing over your feet, you jogged the final blocks to the bus stop and boarded just before the doors closed.

*     *    *

"Again?" you muttered as the familiar beginning of Tyler's voicemail played. You had called him numerous times over the past couple of hours, but each attempt was sent straight to voicemail. If you were being honest, it was starting to get a bit worrying.