Odds

Warnings: Josh gets slapped

Word Count: 842

Request: Ever since I wrote Refrigerator Lights like two years ago, I've had multiple people ask why Y/N would slap Josh. Here's your explanation :)

Author's Note: This is a sort of prequel to Refrigerator Lights and Late Night, which are not necessary to read before you read this fic, but it might give you some context! Totally up to you. Also thank you to everyone for letting me take a little break, I hope you're all staying safe. I hope you enjoy this one :)

*     *     *

"Ty, how long has that can of Red Bull been sitting there?" you asked, nodding towards the drink that was sitting on the counter. You were pretty sure it had been in that exact spot when you had been over a few days ago.

He turned to look at it over his shoulder, "A week, maybe?"

"Is it full?"

"Half."

"Why haven't you tossed it yet?" Josh chimed in.

"Laziness?"

"Gross."

"What are the odds that you chug it?" you smiled.

Tyler turned to you, intrigued by the challenge. "One in three."

"One in three to chug a gross Red Bull?" Josh asked.

"You heard me," Tyler said, never breaking eye contact with you.

"Josh, can we get a countdown?"

Josh sighed deeply, "Three, two, one..."

"Two," you and Tyler said in unison. His face immediately fell.

"Drink up, Joseph," you grinned.

He reluctantly got off the couch and walked over to the can of Red Bull sitting on the counter. Before bringing it to his lips, he sniffed at the top. His face contorted into a frown almost instantly.

"I'm waiting," you said in a sing-song voice.

After a small nod to himself, Tyler tipped the can up and started to chug the drink, wincing the entire way through. He set it back on the counter with a smack, using his other sleeve to wipe at his mouth.

"I'm never leaving a can of Red Bull out again," he huffed.

"It wouldn't be a problem if you two weren't always turning things into a game of odds," Josh said.

"It makes life more fun," you smiled.

"Alright, Y/N, what are the odds that you... eat the grossest thing that I can find in the fridge?"

You thought for a moment, "One in four."

"Josh?"

"Three, two, one..." he counted, never looking up from his phone.

"Three," Tyler said.

"Two." Relief immediately flooded your chest. Eating gross food had never been your strength in this game.

"Shoot. Alright, your go."

Your game continued back and forth for a while, each time with the challenge getting more and more difficult. It was getting to the point that you wanted to give up and call it quits on the game, but you refused to lose to Tyler. As long as he kept playing, you would too.

"I've got one!" Tyler announced triumphantly. "What are the odds that you slap Josh?"

"Slap Josh?" you frowned. "Can I do it gently?"

"Nope, you have to give him a solid slap."

"Where?"

"His face."

"Do I get a say in this?" Josh asked.

"Y/N can always give in and lose the game," Tyler turned to you with a proud smile.

"One in five," you said.

"Y/N!"

"Josh, can I have a countdown?"

"No!"

"I've got it," you said. "Three, two one."

"Seven," you said in unison.

"Y/N!"

"Come here, Dun," Tyler grinned. You hated how smug he was about this.

"Can Y/N take it back?" Josh asked.

"Nope. Once you've determined the odds, you can't take the dare back. It's the rule."

Josh turned to you, but you simply shrugged. "It is the rule."

"Alright," he sighed, moving so that he was standing across from you. "Just slap me, Y/N."

"Are you sure?"

"I know you two aren't going to give in until I say yes, so you might as well do it."

You and Tyler shared a look.

"I'm sorry for this."

You took a deep breath and then slapped the side of his face, hard enough to make a sound but not quite hard enough that it would really hurt him. Josh was a tough guy, but he was still your friend.

"Oh!" Tyler said, bringing a hand to his mouth as you slapped Josh.

"Yep," Josh said, putting a hand to his cheek with wide eyes. "Ouch."

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." You immediately pulled Josh into a hug.

"It's ok. I've felt worse." He hugged you tightly.

"That was sick," Tyler laughed. Josh turned and shot him a look.

"I've got a dare for you, Tyler," Josh said, crossing his arms. "What are the odds that you tell us who you have a huge crush on?"

His face immediately drained of color. You had never seen Tyler so terrified by a game of odds in all the times that you had played, and he had done far worse things than reveal a secret.

"Forfeit," he said, holding his hands up in defeat.

"Forfeit? Over a secret?" you asked.

"Yep. Some odds are just too risky."

"Sweet, I win," you grinned. Josh turned to you and offered up a high five.

"I'll get you next time."

"You wish. I just can't believe you would give in because of a secret."

"Like I said, too risky."

"Are you in love with me or something?" you laughed, poking Tyler's ribs.

"No, I just don't need you two to tease me about it," he smiled.

"Fine, whatever you say."

"I'll tell you some other time," he sighed. "Just not today."