Come Hang Out

Warnings: Angst, rude friends, brief alcohol use

Word Count: 1749

Summary: Tyler faces criticism from his friends about his choice to pursue music.

Author's Note: I've been wanting to write a fic for this song for ages and I figured why not do it now? So, as the title suggests, this fic is loosely based off of Come Hang Out by AJR. I hope you enjoy it :)

*     *     *

The elevator dinged as you reached the fourth floor, the mechanical doors shaking a bit as they slid open. You adjusted the backpack on your shoulder and stepped out onto the worn carpets. From your spot in the hall, you could already hear the loud laughter of your friends from a few apartments down.

Your knock on the door was met by a loud "Come in!" from inside. You pushed the door open and were immediately met with Anna holding her arms out for a hug. Behind her, all of your friends were crowded around the kitchen island as they had snacks and drinks.

"Y/N!" Anna said as she embraced you. "I'm so glad that you could make it!"

"Me too."

Everyone else said their hellos as you set your things by the door and joined them at the counter. Adam poured you a drink and slid it across the counter; you barely managed to catch it before it went sliding over the edge and spilled all over the floor.

"Thanks," you said before taking a long drink.

You looked around at your friends while you drank. The six of you - seven, if you counted Tyler who wasn't currently here - had been friends since your freshman year of college. A couple of you had a class together and the circle slowly grew from there as you introduced other friends. The people in it had fluctuated throughout the years, but once you all graduated, the seven of you had settled as the official friend group. Tyler was the one that you considered yourself closest to, but he was rarely around everyone else anymore.

"Woah, looks like Y/N is chugging their drink over there," Jack laughed.

You immediately pulled your cup away from your lips, "Sorry, my throat was really dry. I wasn't really thinking about what I was drinking."

"Need another one?" Adam asked.

"I'm ok, thanks. I still need to drive home tonight," you smiled.

"Is everyone here?" Jade asked. "Should we pick a game?"

"Tyler isn't here," Ryan answered.

"Oh, he's not coming," you chimed in. "He had a meeting with a label tonight."

"Of course he did," Adam scoffed.

You opened your mouth to defend him, but people started to talk over you before you had a chance to.

"He never comes anymore, what did you expect?"

"I thought he would have given up by now."

"I would if I were him."

"Don't you guys think you're being a little mean?"

"We're just being honest, Anna. Do you really think he's going to make it big?"

"Well..."

"Hey, you're close with him, Y/N," Ryan turned to you. "What do you think about Tyler's music?"

"I've heard better." It physically pained you to lie, but it was easier than trying to defend yourself against everyone else. As long as Tyler knew you supported him wholeheartedly, that was what mattered. "I really don't know what's going to happen."