Selfish

Warnings: Angst

Word Count: 1351

Author's Note: This is based off the song Selfish by Asia Cruise!

You checked the time again. It was now eleven, five hours after Tyler said that he was going to come home so that the two of you could go out to dinner together. He had spent most of the day at an event, promoting the upcoming album with Josh. He had told you that he wouldn't be gone for more than a few hours, but evidently that wasn't the case.

The front door swung open and Tyler stepped inside, closing the door softly behind him. You sat up to look at him, crossing your arms while you did so. Your hair was still done and you hadn't bothered to change out of your nice clothes yet in the hopes he would still get home in time for you two to get dinner.

"Look who finally decided to come home," you said, not even bothering to hear his side of the story.

"I got caught up talking with important people," he retorted.

"Did you remember that we had dinner plans tonight?"

"Yeah."

"So what? You were just going to let me wait for you all night?"

"Like I said, I got caught up with important people. I didn't know how long it was going to take."

"You were gone for five extra hours, Tyler! Were they really more important than the dinner plans that we've had for weeks?"

"Considering I've had this event on the calendar for months, I would say that trumps the dinner plans."

You sighed and pushed your hair back from your face. The two of you had been like this for months now: fighting constantly about even the smallest of things. Tyler kept putting everything else above you, and both of you refused to be wrong. You were finally reaching your breaking point.

"So are you just done caring about me?" you finally snapped.

Tyler turned to you with a look of total confusion on his face, "Where did you get that idea?"

"Don't act like it isn't obvious. Recently it's been all about your music, even if that's at my expense."

"Of course it's been all about my music recently, Y/N, it's my career."

"I understand that, but it seems like you're just doing your own thing and not letting me in on any of it. We're in a relationship, you know, and that requires just as much effort as a career."

"We've been dating for over two years, do we really still need to go on dates?"

You had tried to avoid raising your voice up until this point, but with Tyler's comments it was getting increasingly difficult. As much as you didn't want to turn this into a screaming match, it seemed like that was the way it was going.

"Yes we need to go on dates! I can't believe you even had to ask that."

"I don't understand you, Y/N. You say you want me to live me dreams and then you tell me that I don't care about you at all."

"I do want you to live your dreams, Tyler. But when living your dreams becomes skipping out on plans and then blaming me for getting mad, it starts to seem like you only care about yourself."

"You know that isn't true."

"Do I? Because every time you upset me, you never apologize no matter how badly you hurt me."

"That's because it's never my fault."

"This is exactly what I'm talking about! You never listen! That's it. I'm done."