Wide Awake - Part Two

Warnings: Profanity, angst

Word Count: 1327

Request: Surprise post! This was a request from Tumblr.

Today was the day.

Your hands were gripped tight on the steering wheel, turning your knuckles near white. The drive to the drugstore was a short one, but it gave you just enough time to let every worst case scenario run its course through your mind. Not even the radio could distract you today.

You pulled into the only empty parking spot in front of the store. The car shuddered as the engine shut off and you pulled the keys into your lap. Not wanting to be recognized, you pulled your hood up and grabbed your sunglasses. You'd rather look dumb than be caught buying a magazine with your ex-husband on the cover.

The cashier hardly paid attention as you walked inside. You subconsciously flexed your hands to release tension as you made a beeline for the small selection of magazines that they had towards the back. Tyler's cover stood out immediately, bold white letters standing out beside him.

Tyler Joseph tells all about split with Y/N.

You reached for it and scanned the bullet points that were printed under the title.

Never before heard details.
Who's at fault?
Read more on page 76!

You bit down on your lip and walked towards the counter. The cashier looked up at you and flashed her customer service smile. She hardly looked older than sixteen.

"Big fan of Twenty One pilots, huh?" she flipped the magazine over and scanned the barcode.

"You could say that," you forced a smile as you dug around in your pocket for the crinkled dollar bills you had grabbed before you left.

"We just got these in today," she said, smacking her gum. "That interview is supposed to have a lot of juicy secrets about the divorce."

"I've heard," you huffed, wishing that she would work a bit faster.

"Your total is $1.79."

You handed her two crinkled dollar bills and grabbed the magazine, muttering something about keeping the change as you walked off. All you wanted was to get home and figure out just what he had said about you.

The interview started right in the middle of the magazine, next to a full page picture of Tyler sitting in a chair. You had to admit, he looked good with his relaxed posture and barely there smirk. It was like he knew he was still driving you crazy.

You skimmed over the first few questions. It was just the same questions about the band that seemed to be in every interview, you had heard the responses so many times that you could have answered the questions yourself. Finally, you reached the first question about the divorce.

Q: So, diving a bit deeper here, it's no secret that you recently split with your wife Y/N. Can you tell us a little bit more about that?

A: Yeah, uh, things just weren't really working out between us anymore. It's hard being away on tour all the time and she was working so it was difficult for us to make time for one another. Ultimately, things between us just had to be called off. I wish things could have worked between us, but life just doesn't work out that way sometimes.

"Bullshit," you muttered, moving on to the next question.

Q: Now, I know this is a question that has been on many people's minds since the news broke, but was the divorce truly a mutual decision? Or did one of you finally bite the bullet and say this needs to end?

A: I was the first one to bring it up, but [Y/N] agreed with me completely. We both knew that it just wasn't working anymore and something had to be done about it.

You were fuming now, but you forced yourself to keep reading to see what else he had to say. Maybe he would redeem himself later in the interview.  

Q: You two stayed pretty quiet on social media after everything went down. Is this a reflection of your relationship now? Are you two still friends?

A: Unfortunately, no. I haven't talked to her at all since we finalized the divorce. When you break up with someone like that, there's a healing process involved. It's only been a few months since things ended, so I think we're both still working through everything that happened between us. Josh is still on good terms with her, however, so I think that there's definitely a possibility of reconciliation in the future.

At least there was one thing that he hadn't lied about, aside from the possibility of being friends with him again. You weren't going to put yourself back in that situation again, especially now that you knew he would so readily lie about what truly happened between the two of you. A small part of you had hoped he would rectify things, but that wasn't the case.

The rest of the interview simply talked about their upcoming album, so you closed the magazine and tossed it onto the coffee table. Maybe you would burn it later, that might make the knot in your stomach go away. Not wanting to sit alone with your thoughts much longer, you decided to make a call to the one person who might understand.

"Hello?" Josh picked up almost immediately.

"I read the interview."

"Y/N," he sighed. "I thought we agreed that you weren't going to do that."

"I know, but I thought that maybe he was going to make things right. I should have known better."

"You should have."

"Josh, can I please just get some support right now? I feel like shit as it is."

"Right, sorry."

"I just don't understand how he can lie like that! Why doesn't he just own up to what he did?"

"I don't know, Y/N."

"The divorce was anything but mutual. He slammed those papers down in front of me before we even had a conversation about getting divorced. It wrecked me."

"He's probably just embarrassed about how he handled it and is trying to save face."

"That must be so hard for him," you muttered sarcastically. "Has he said anything about it to you?"

"Nope. He just mentioned that he was doing a solo interview with a magazine and he didn't say much else. I assumed it was about the album and didn't think twice about it. It was only when the magazine started advertising that I realized he had opened up about the divorce."

"I thought I was over all of this, Josh, but this really feels like a punch in the gut."

"Listen, why don't you take some time to process all of this and then later you can come over and we can order pizza and play video games all night?"

"That sounds really nice."

"I know this interview sucks, but you got through the worst of it already. The divorce is done. You don't have to deal with Tyler anymore. Now it's my turn to step in and make sure that you're taking care of yourself."

"Thank you so much, Josh," you said, unable to keep the smile off your face.

"It's no problem. Also, if you want to bring that magazine over here I'm pretty sure that I have a lighter somewhere that we can use to burn it."

"You read my mind," you laughed.

"So see you in a couple hours?"

"Definitely. I'm about to go take the most relaxing bath in history."

"Good. I'm glad that you're taking care of yourself, Y/N."

"All thanks to you."

"See you later."

"Bye," you said, hitting the red end call button.

You set your phone down and leaned back against the couch. The sinking feeling in your stomach hadn't entirely gone away–and you knew it wouldn't for awhile–but having Josh as a support system helped you to feel a little better. At least you weren't entirely alone.

You were going to be ok and that was all that really mattered.