Wide Awake - Part Three

Warnings: Profanity, brief anxiety attack, lots of angst

Word Count: 2539

Author's Note: I got a request for a very angsty third (and final) part to this series! Hope you guys like it 💕

This was never supposed to happen.

You had told yourself from the moment the divorce was finalized that you wouldn't go for his best friend. That no matter how badly he had hurt you, he didn't deserve that low blow. Of course, that was before Josh had looked at you with those gorgeous brown eyes of his and told you that he was in love with you for the first time.

The two of you had been dating for six months now, and in that time you had felt happier than you ever had with Tyler. Even your worst days with Josh were better than your best with Tyler. For the first time, you knew what it felt like to be totally loved and appreciated. Josh took every opportunity that he could to wrap his arms around you, give you soft kisses, or do something as simple as resting his knee against yours during family dinners.

You still felt a pang of guilt every now and again. Even though Tyler had hurt you, it still seemed unfair to turn around and start dating his best friend. Josh had assured you that it was fine countless times, but it still didn't sit quite right.

"Y/N?" Josh asked, snapping you out of your daydream.

"Hmm?"

"You doing ok? You've been staring at the wall for awhile and I don't think you've blinked once," he said. His mouth turned up slightly at the end.

"I'm fine," you said, smiling to reassure him. "Just thinking about everything."

Josh nodded, "I think I'm about to post the announcement."

Anxiety immediately creeped its way into your mind, taking away any excitement that you had about finally announcing your relationship with Josh. You slid along the couch so that you could look over his shoulder, one of your hands rested lightly on his arm. He already had a caption typed out, although you couldn't quite make out what it said from where you were sitting.

"You're sure you want to do this?" you asked, trying to mask the way your voice shook.

He turned so that he could look at you, a smile on his face, "I've never been more sure of anything in my life."

You grabbed his cheek and pulled him into a kiss. Knowing that Josh was confident in this decision helped to alleviate some of your fear. Even if everything went wrong, at least you would still have him.

"Posted," he said.

You grabbed your phone and opened Instagram. Josh's post appeared at the top. It was a picture of the two of you that he had taken a few months back. He was kissing your cheek as you laughed. You scrolled down so that you could read the caption.

joshuadun i've kept this on the downlow for quite some time, but i just wanted to let the world know that i love this human more than anything. she's pretty cool, even though she snores a lot. @y/n, how's that for official?

"I'd say that's pretty good," you smiled, leaning your head on Josh's shoulder. "Now to wait for all hell to break loose."

"We don't need to worry about that," Josh said, taking your phone and setting it on the coffee table. "All we have to focus on is one another."

"You're right," you sighed.

You and Josh sat and talked for awhile, completely ignoring your phones. It was a nice distraction from all the worries that were bouncing around in the back of your mind. Him playing with your hair also helped to calm you down.