Milkshakes

Warnings: Strict parents, I guess?

Word Count: 4542

Author's Note: This is a highschool!AU.

"I already told you twenty times that we have to go to this event tonight for dad's work."

You started to open your mouth to say something.

"I don't want to hear anymore about this. You're going and that's final."

You groaned loudly and went stomping upstairs, Percy, your loyal dog, following close at your heels. Your bed looked far more appealing than the dress hung over the back of your chair, so you flopped down onto it. Percy jumped up and laid down next to you on the bed.

"I don't want to go to some stupid event," you groaned loudly into your bed sheets.

Percy gave you a reassuring lick on the arm and burrowed his face as close to you as possible. You rolled over onto your back and coaxed Percy up onto your stomach. He crawled up and rested his head so that he was looking directly at you.

"I wish I could stay here with you, Percy," you said, rubbing his head.

He cocked his head to the side. Your phone buzzed in your pocket, so you carefully lifted your back up and slid it out, trying your best not to disturb Percy too much. It was a text from Tyler.

Tyler: Are you stuck going to the charity dinner too?

Y/N: Yep...

Tyler: At least we can suffer together!

You smiled at his text, but quickly wiped it from your face. There was no way you would have a chance with a guy like him, even if he was your best friend.

"You better be getting ready up there!" your mom called.

You placed Percy gently on the bed next to you and swung your legs off. As much as you dreaded going to the actual dinner, you did like getting dressed up. You sat down at your vanity and turned your music on before starting in on your makeup.

An hour and a half later, you had your dress on, your hair up, and your makeup done. You pulled on the shoes that your mom had bought for you, a pair of plain black heels, and wobbled down the steps.

"You look beautiful!" your mom said once she saw you.

"Thanks, Mom."

Percy came sprinting down the stairs once he realized you had left the room. He had fallen asleep when you were getting ready.

"That dog really does love you," your mom laughed as Percy sat down next to your feet.

"Well I love him too," you said, bending down and petting his head.

He licked your hand excitedly. You started to reach for your dress, a habit you had developed, before your mom interrupted you.

"Don't you dare," she said sharply.

You settled for shaking your hand out. Your mom gave you a look, but you smiled sweetly at her.

"Y/D/N! Let's go!" your mom called.

Your dad appeared from the kitchen, wearing a button down shirt and slacks.

"Doesn't she look beautiful?" your mom asked.

"Gorgeous," your dad said, walking over and kissing your temple.

You all walked out the door and got into the car. It was an hour long drive, and you spent most of the time staring out the window at the passing trees.