Chapter 39 No longer Wanted

Julia’s eyes grew wider before the onslaught of cries filled the room. The lights suddenly flooded the room and for a split second she felt a sense of panic rising before several cries of, “Surprise!!” pierced the air. Her heart practically jumped out of her chest as her fellow co-workers rushed forward and embraced her. Her face softened and she shook her head as her eyes landed on Gabe seated in the midst of the great hurrah. She would deal with him, “But wait they were in the CEO’s office,” she thought. She let that thought go as the lean figure of Mrs. Santiago stepped forward. “I missed you dear,” she said. Julia blushed and accepted her hug. She had not known that she had made such an impression on everyone. After the embrace she stood there smiling before a glass of something was pushed into her grasp. She smiled and sipped on a bubble drink. He finally stood up and her eyes followed his every move. A smile played upon his lips as he stood there watching her, tempting her. She tried to push away the dirty little thoughts that kept creeping into her mind. Finally Amelia one of the girls that she had become friends with in the mailing room came forward and began to talk. “We missed you Julia, we really did….

The evening wore on, apparently everyone had come together to welcome her back into the office. After the grave ordeal everyone had experienced at the gala event they felt she deserved it. Julia stood there amazed at how many lives she had impacted on. Never had she expected she would leave such an impression on anyone. Yet there she was, for once in all her working years she felt truly accepted into her work and she knew that she would try her best to keep her position. “Julia,” someone called. Julia looked up to see Mrs. Santiago walking her way. It must have been the drink or the glint in her eyes but suddenly she did not feel comfortable, something tugged at her stomach. Before she could step back Mrs. Santiago’s’ hand reached out. Julia stood mortified as her hand made contact with her stomach. “How’s the baby dear?” she asked. The lump in her throat refused to budge as she stood there. The grip on her glass tightened. For a moment she had actually forgotten the lie that she had built around herself, now that lie was killing her slowly. She shook herself and stood straighter. The room seemed tensed, waiting for her to answer. She rose the glass to her lips and then stopped. “Don’t worry dear its non-alcoholic.” Julia’s eyes widened.

She closed her eyes for a second before opening them and stepping forward. “I’m not pregnant.” Mrs. Santiago’s eyes grew to the size of saucers. Julia stepped back. “I’m sorry,” she said. She turned and her face went smack into someone. She looked up and gulped. “Gabriel I’m sorry,” she gasped and tried to move past. He caught her hand and held her there waiting for her to look at him. She did and then pulled away. Her legs led her away from the room and down the hall. Down the stairs and onto the first floor she went till she had reached the benches that lined the car park. She slumped on the closest one and then held her face in her hands. She had done it. She had finally done it. It felt better but at what cost had she done it. She shook her head and a lone tear trailed down her cheek.

She regretted ever having lied the first time. She could only imagine what everyone was thinking about her, after hosting a surprise party for her, this was what she had to do. She shook her head and leaned back. Something warm touched her shoulder and she gasped. Her eyes retracted and she looked up to see Gabriel staring down at her. Her mouth contorted and her sobs caught in her throat. “Julia,” he began. She gulped. “I’m afraid I no longer require your services as my personal assistant.” Julia’s eyes whipped up as she tried to swallow.

*******************

Author’s Note

*******************

Hey everyone, this one is a special update for all you special readers, voters and commenters. You all are the best. Can you believe him:(