Chapter 12 NO!

When Julia got to work the next morning everything was normal except Gabriel was not there. She imagined him and Erica and then groaned. Atleast they were not here. Devin had told her he would come by today to carry out Gabriel to lunch, she still felt weird about the whole thing. I mean she was all for him to stop hitting on her but when he did it was like she was missing him. “Stupid,” she mumbled and turned to her work. Around lunch Devin came by but Gabriel had not even entered the office for the day. He decided to wait a bit and lucky for him. Around twelve who would come walking no rushing in and throwing off her bag but Erica and clinging on to Gabriel like her life depended on it. Julia froze; everything seemed to freeze as their lips connected. Julia closed her eyes for a moment and opened them to see Gabriel kissing Erica’s neck and looking directly at her.

            She could feel Devin’s gaze burning a hole through her back. She sat there frozen for what felt like hours but were merely seconds. “I’m sorry,” Devin spoke. Julia looked up to see that they had not even moved from each other’s embrace. She thought about getting up and then just leaving but they were in front of the door and going there meant directly disturbing them. Her eyes found Devin’s and he stared at her speechless. When Gabriel’s voice filled the room Julia felt as if she could have melted to the floor and disappeared. There was a deep void inside of her that refused to go. “What?” he asked shattering the tense atmosphere. She gulped as Devin spoke. “Um I…. before he could finish she got up without even knowing what she was doing, she grabbed her bag and started walking out the door barely looking back. “Where do you think you’re going?” Gabriel’s once gentle voice bit out. “Lunch,” she answered mechanically. Erica sneered at her and then clung onto Gabriel. “Good idea get something for me and my babe,” he said and then turned back.

            After getting out of the office she sighed and made it to the cafeteria. What she really felt like doing was leaving and just going to the park or somewhere quiet but here she was stuck and feeling like dirt. She ordered two lunches for Gabriel and his girlfriend and the returned to the office, somehow her appetite felt quenched after seeing them, “Maybe she could take her lunchtime and go somewhere,” she thought. When she entered the office Erica sidled up onto Gabriel’s lap and kissed him. It must have been that moment that she gave up. She could see something in the woman before her, desperation jealousy whatever it was it gave Julia some confidence. A broad smile crossed her lips as she set down their lunches and then stepped back. “Anything else?” she asked. “No,” Erica cut in, “leave.” For a moment she felt herself weakening but then she turned and left leaving not only his office but the entire building as she made her way home.

            If they wanted her to leave them she would. She flagged down a taxi and got in. About thirty five minutes after she was home. After stepping in she put down her stuff and dropped on her couch. Who knew they might not even notice she left. Inwardly she felt cold and a little bit hurt but she willed herself to shut off those feelings. “Maybe taking this job was too much,” she thought. She had never thought about the emotions attached to it. Her eyes roved around her apartment and then she sighed. She was doing it for herself and her parents. “Heck if he suddenly wants to bring his girlfriend who am I to disagree let him I’ll just be myself too just put a little more confidence in my step and I could do my job, so what if they kissed and cuddled, heck let them do what they want,” her mind shouted encouraging her. She got up and headed for the bedroom. After opening her closet she stepped back and smiled.