Chapter 9 Goodbye Birthday

Work was starting to get hectic over the next few days. There were meetings to be booked, presentations to be made and she had to run around making sure everything was done in time. She sighed and sank down in her seat just as a tall built man entered the office. He smiled a bright smile revealing perfect white teeth which was a stark contrast to his deep almost black eyes. “Hey there,” he said and sank down in the seat in front of her desk. “Hi,” she replied, “Can I help you?” He smiled again and asked if Gabriel was around. “Devin,” Gabriel said as he entered the room. The blond haired stranger turned and smiled. “Well I haven’t seen you in a while stranger,” he said. Gabriel smiled and leaned against the desk. “Julia meet my friend Devin, he’s a doctor,” he said. Her eyebrows went up but she still smiled and shook his hand. “Why did he have to tell her he was a doctor,” her mind screamed.

            “Hey no need to spoil my secret identity,” Devin chuckled and Gabriel smirked. “What brings you here?” he asked. “You know things like just passing by to see a friend,” he answered, “Anyway I have to run before my secretary calls in,” he said and got up. Gabriel smiled. “Devin turned and looked at her. “And you honey don’t let this man gave you any trouble if he does you tell me,” he said and then playfully punched Gabriel’s shoulder. He winked at her and then exited the room. Gabriel stared at her with one eyebrow cocked and then there was silence again until her phone rang. She pulled it out and got up. “Hello,” she answered. “Hello Birthday girl!” Erin yelled. Julia’s eyes widened and she looked to see if her boss had heard anything. “It’s not my birthday,” she whispered into the phone. “Oh pooh I know hon it’s tomorrow but I wanted to surprise you today,” she said. Julia smiled and thanked her. “By the way don’t forget we’re meeting after lunch make sure and tell your boss that you won’t be there to fold his clothes,” she laughed and then hung up.

            Julia turned and looked at him before speaking. “Um Mr. Santiago,” she began. “I told you to call me Gabriel,” he said. She inhaled and nodded. “Can I have the evening off tomorrow?” she asked. “Is it important?” he asked. She sighed. “Because we have an important client that I don’t want to miss and you have to be there to take down notes,” he said. She sighed, “I guess not. He nodded and continued writing. Erin was so going to kill her.

            As soon as she finished work she fished out her phone and dialled Erin. “Hey,’ she answered on her first ring. “Hi um Erin I can’t make it tomorrow,” she rushed out. “What?” Erin cried. “Sorry,” she replied. “It’s him isn’t it?” she said. “No, no Erin just I’m sorry maybe another time,” she said. There was silence on the other end. “When I find him he’s going to wish he …” her words trailed off as Julia hang up.

******************************************************************************************

Poor Julia, what client could possible be so important?

*******************************************************************************************

tash