Well, Lottie, My Name Is Jack

All Rights Reserved

Copy Right 2015

Chapter 14:

"Are you two dating?" My mom questioned. She had asked me about a million personal questions in the past five minutes of this painful car ride.

"No, mom." I groaned.

"Do you even have a boyfriend?"

"Mom, no!"

"You should get a boyfriend, honey."

"Good idea mom. Let me just go to the boyfriend store and buy one. It's just that easy, " I sarcastically snapped. Why did I agree to come home again?

"Are you sure you're not dating?" She pointedly looked at Ethan and I.

"Mom, no!" I threw my hands in the air. Ethan only chuckled beside me, not interfering. Stupid man.

"Then you won't be embarrassed if I ask this. Did you pack any tampons or pads? I know you always have your period on Thanksgiving so I was wondering-"

"Mom, NO!" I yelled, my face turning crimson from anger and embarrassment. My dad and Ethan both laughed at us. Really? You too Dad?

The rest of the ride went the same way: question, screaming reply, silence, then question. When we finally arrived at their house, everyone was ecstatic to leave the cramped up car. An awkward silence fell over us all as we walked to the door and inside.

Memories of our past happy family flooded my mind. When I looked in the living room, I didn't see the old sofa and flat screen that sat there now. Instead, I saw my family piled onto the couch, laughing as we threw pieces of popcorn at each other while watching our favorite Christmas movie. When I looked at the kitchen, I didn't see the shiny pots and pans that hung from the shelf today. I saw the pile of pots in the sink as our family played Shoots and Ladders at the wooden table.

"Charlotte, you will be staying in Whitney's room. Ethan you'll be staying in Charlotte's old room. I'm assuming you," my mom looked at me, "remember where everything in this house is, so I'll show Ethan the way while you get settled in." I stared at my mom and Ethan's retreating figures, wondering why she would put my in Whitney's room. She knew how badly I felt, so why would she intentionally hurt me?

I mustered all my courage and walked down the hall to the room that held so many memories. Grasping the cold handle, I turned it and opened the door. The room looked no different than the last time I saw it. The pile of Whitney's plushie collection lay in the corner of her room where it always had. Her twin sized bed was pushed against the wall. She was always afraid of monsters, even at thirteen. According to her, if the bed was placed against the wall, the monsters couldn't reach her from that end. I set my bag down on the soft blue bed, taking in the situation I was in. I hadn't been in this room in ten years, yet here I was today. What had changed?

"Charlotte! Dinner time!" My dad yelled from outside the room. I groaned, walking out of the room. If the car ride was anything to base this dinner off of, we had a lot to get through. Ethan was already seated at the table when I walked in. The way he talked with my parents was refreshing. They seemed to get along so well. Way better than my parents and I did. Ethan must have heard me enter the room because his head snapped to my direction, smiling at me. I slowly walked over and sat next to him, trying my best to smile back. He hadn't done anything to make me upset, but being in this house was enough to do just that.

Ethan gave me a knowing glance before turning back to talk with my dad. "It's not all it's cracked up to be. Usually I'm so busy I can't ever take a break, but sometimes I have a few days off. I take advantage of the time I get off, however scarce it may be." I concluded that they were talking about modeling. It sure wasn't what most people thought of. I had learned that much from working at Vogue.