Charlotte, Is It True?

Chapter songs:

My Kind of Love (RedOne and Alex P remix)

Afire Love - Ed Sheeran

All Rights Reserved

Copy Right 2015

Chapter 23:

The fierce pounding in my head didn't secede anytime soon. I didn't expect it to. My arms reached out, grabbing a pillow from my office's couch. Even while I hugged it tightly to my chest, the thundering beat of my heart echoed throughout my head. The noise was fast paced and insufferable. I wouldn't be surprised if my body passed out anytime soon; I actually wished for it to. Maybe then my head and heart would feel torn.

I wasn't upset over the fact that Ethan was distant anymore. I was devastated because I had lost the one thing that relieved me, the one thing that helped me survive; my job. Without it, there was going to be no food on the table. I wasn't going to be able to upgrade apartments, either. Eventually, the deafening beat simmered down to a subtle thump. When I was relieved of the pain, my devastation digressed to fury.

How dare he? After everything I had done for him, after everything I had shared with him, he chose to do the one thing that would cut me down to a stump. Jessica was right; he was incorrigible. Mr. Price was completely and utterly abominable.

Sighing, I warily stood up. My body trembled slightly but was still mobile. I slowly made my way to my desk. As I grabbed a box out of my closet I began to pile the trinkets on my desk inside it. Next, I took the picture frames off of the walls. Lastly, I walked over to my sketching area beside the massive window. I picked up my sketch book and flipped through the worn pages. When it came to the last page, I noticed something new at the bottom of my favorite design.

'These are truly amazing sketches. I've never see such passion put into one design, yet you easily accomplished that. I hope you go far

Love,
Ethan'

When was this written? Surely he didn't write it recently, no, he was too busy being a jerk. Frowning, I closed the sketch book and glanced out the window one last time. I seriously loved this view and it was killing me to leave it. A white bird fluttered by the window, vanishing as quick as it appeared. With one last stare at the beautiful scene, I turned on my heel and left. I figured I would leave the incomplete dress in its position on the floor.

As I walked down the hall, many people peeked out of their offices to watch. Could a girl not have a walk of shame in peace? A few people snickered, and a few people frowned. Not one person asked me how I felt. Not a single one.

"I heard she broke him off with his last love," one girl whispered to another. They both sized me up. I simply rolled my eyes.

"You think she'll do me now that Ethan's out of the picture?" A man joked to his friends. I could not stand men. I was not an item. I almost slapped him across the face, but it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't ever see him again.

"I heard that he was paid to let her work for him. He's just realizing that she's not worth the money anymore," Another girl smirked. What was wrong with people?

It felt like an eternity before I finally made it to the elevator. I welcomed the silence that came with it. My hands still shook a little so I repositioned them on the box. When the elevator opened, I breathed a deep breath and stepped out. The downstairs was even worse.

Everyone was talking about me, and they weren't being subtle either. Grimaces and scowls littered the room, all of them directed at me. Surely at this point a rumor had been spread about why I was fired. No one knew the real reason; not even me.