That's the Reason

This Chapter is dedicated to @aurorahays. Thanks for helping me(:

All Rights Reserved

Copy Right 2015

Chapter 27:

The music softly echoed around us, urging us to move to it's beat. The song was a slow one, almost like an entrancing lullaby. Ethan stared into my eyes as he led me around the dance floor. He would step forward and I would follow. The moment was almost magical as his lips curved upward into a small smile. Almost.

A small, frail hand tapped Ethan's shoulder, causing our dance to end. I slightly frowned, upset that we had been interrupted. Ethan's head swiveled around and caught the old lady's gaze. She was a plump woman who stood at around 5'3", even with small heels on. Her wrinkles were visible through the white sheer mask that covered her face, dexterously showing her age. Her green eyes batted at him while displaying her obvious interest in him. Ethan glanced at me through his peripheral vision as he apprehensively greeted the lady.

"Yes ma'am?" He smiled awkwardly at her. She pushed out her bust.

"Well, you definitely live up to those pictures, Mr. Price," she eyes him slowly, like a lion stalking its prey. Who is she, exactly?

"And who might you be?" Ethan spoke my thoughts and raised an eyebrow at her.

"You can't tell? Oh, right! My mask," she waved her hands around like a spazzing butterfly. "My name is Diana Pespern. I'm also single," she sung, wiggling her vacant ring finger in front of Ethan's face. Ethan nodded his head haltingly.

"You seem like a nice woman, Ms. Pespern, but I like to date women my age," Ethan glanced at me. He probably needs my help trying to get her away.

"Well, I have a granddaughter. In fact, she's with us tonight. Oh- there she is! Chantilly!" The old lady stretched her arm up and waved like a maniac. I subconsciously stretched my head around Ethan to look at the granddaughter. I wish I hadn't.

The granddaughter, Chantilly, looked towards our direction. Her eyes passed between her grandmother and Ethan, but never at me. Her lingering gaze on Ethan made my chest constrict. My hands balled up in fists at my side, however, since it was dark no one noticed.

"Mimi? What are you doing?" Her voice was thick with a Spanish accent. It made sense, though. With her tall frame, chocolate hair, and big eyes, there was no way she could have been anything else. Chantilly quickly approached us, grabbing her grandmothers hand softly. "Estás bien?"

I had taken enough Spanish in the eleventh grade to understand she was asking if her grandmother was okay. She was a little too okay, if you asked me. No one bothered.

"Sí, nieta. I would like you to meet my friends, Ethan and..." she paused, facing us. Friends? We've talked to you for what, five seconds?

"It's Charlotte." Not that anyone cares.

"It's nice to meet you Ethan, I'm Tilly," she extended a slender hand to Ethan while flashing a megawatt smile. He graciously excepted, of course. I would never be good enough for him. She turned to me, her smile faltering a little. "You must be Ethan's sister?"

I closed my eyes, pursing my lips. Nodding slowly, I opened my eyes and offered her the darkest smile I've ever done. "Yup, the little sis'." Ethan gave me a questioning gaze. "The little sis' has to use the ladies room, if you don't mind," I excused my self. Ethan could easily handle himself.

Pushing myself through the mass of bodies bouncing to the bass, I made my way to the bathroom. The bathroom was exceedingly quite compared to outside. My ears silently thanked me. Squirting some soap into my hands, I washed them in the sink. I threw the used paper towel into the trash, stopping to look in the mirror. My hair was flat compared to Tilly's. My skin? I had a regular tan, not a golden goddess one. There really was no competition; she would incontestably win every single time. Sighing, I left the bathroom feeling insecure and comely.