A Bundle of Nerves

All Rights Reserved

Copy Right 2014

Chapter 1:

Cool, calm, and collected.

If I had to sum it up, those three words were what I would use to illustrate my first internship interview. I used them as antonyms, of course. It didn't take a genius to understand how frazzled I was. I had just stepped out of the gargantuan office. An office that, at this very moment, was deciding my future. Confused? Let me explain.

8 hours earlier

The vexatious sound of my alarm clock seemed ceaseless. I wanted nothing more than to slam my fist onto the snooze button. However, that would mean I would need to buy a new one and I really couldn't afford that right now.

"Just shut up!" I groaned, shoving my plush pillow onto my face in the process.

I sat up obstinately and groped my bedside table for my glasses. Once I had them in my grasp, I slid them onto my face. Swinging my legs over the side of the bed, I slipped my feet into my lamb head slippers. It's deemed unprofessional of me to have lamb slippers by anyone of good social standing, but I couldn't resist the urge to buy them. When I was browsing the shoe section for house shoes, the cuddly things screamed, "BUY ME! I'll keep your feet warm. Plus, I'm on sale!" I felt no shame in doing so.

Orthostatic hypotension. You know, that feeling when you stand up too fast and your head feels like it's being crushed, but you can't stand straight because you're so dizzy? I do, because that's exactly what was happening to me right now. A sudden wave of nausea hit me like a ton of bricks. My arms shot out, bracing myself for the inevitable fall. It didn't come. Instead I stood there, crouched in an awkward position with one hand out and the other clutching my throbbing head. To an onlooker, I probably looked like an inexperienced tight roper who was about to sneeze her way to doom.

Then the feeling flooded away as soon as it came. I'll never understand the way the human body works. I guess that's why I majored in visual arts instead of human anatomy. Fashion came naturally to me and was easy to understand. In my experience, human anatomy was as confusing as a sixth grade relationship.

As I headed to the bathroom, I tripped over a towel. I let out an annoyed huff as I picked up the dreadful thing and placed it down on my bathroom counter. A neon sticky note was placed on my mirror, reminding me of my plans today. Later today I have an interview for a possible internship at Vogue. My job at Publix serving as a cashier was not awful, but it definitely didn't rope in as bountiful a paycheck. I was a twenty three year old woman, for crying out loud! One might think I wasn't adept enough for a higher job, but that wasn't the case. I simply didn't search for another job. My boss was great and the pay wasn't that bad. However, I couldn't possibly pass up this offer at Vogue.

The booming noise from the my bedroom reminded me that I had yet again lost myself in though and had forgotten to turn off my alarm. I quickly fixed my glasses and ran into the room to hit the off button on my alarm clock. The clock read 6:49, which meant I had exactly three hours and eleven minutes to get ready and drive to the office. Considering I live in New York, New York, it would take minimum time to snag a taxi and get to the office.

Knowing that, I headed back to my bathroom and turned on the shower. The faucet spit twice before cascading down in a steady rhythm. Since I live in a middle class apartment, it takes forever for the hot water to appear. Instead of waiting, I padded to the kitchen. Reaching for my favorite, stained pot, I fixed myself a cup of coffee. After about two minutes of quietly sipping my drink, I decided that my shower was probably warm enough. I poured out the rest of my coffee and headed back to the shower.