Great to See You Again, Lottie

Jessica to the side(:

All Rights Reserved

Copy Right 2014

Chapter 10:

I inhaled sharply through my nose and exhaled quickly out of my mouth. My feet pounded the ground faster and faster, harder and harder, lurching me forward with every powerful step. My lungs burned with the desire for oxygen, but I couldn't slow down to grant that wish. No, I had to run.

"Get back here! You here me? Get back here!" The one voice I feared the most yelled from behind me. I pumped my legs harder, faster. One might have thought since I was petrified I would be frozen in place, but that was not the case.

I ran into a dark alley. It was a dead end. I quickly scoured the area, my eyes landing on a small wooden box that I could easily fit inside of. I sprinted over to it, hurling my body inside. An eerie silence settled over me and all that could be heard was the dripping of pipe water and my heavy breathing. Oh, and the shouting of my pursuer.

A tall, lanky, black silhouette appeared at the chink of the alley. His outline was rigid; furious. I tried my best not to hurl up my lunch at the sight of him. Swallowing my breaths, I quietly watched him take small steps into the dark area. His head peered around until it landed on the box I was in. I prayed to God that he wouldn't see me, but it was too late. A sinister smile grew on his face; his eyes darkened a shade.

"Well, well, well. This might be your worst escape attempt yet." His voice sounded like nails on a chalkboard, making me cringe. He clicked his tongue at me in a disapproving manner. "I might just have to punish you, again."

A lonely tear slipped down my face, the salty taste resting on my swollen bottom lip. I willed myself not to cry, repeating in my head how I was a strong girl. I glanced down at my fourteen year old body, trying to savor the last time I would see it without bruises for the next month. Sucking in a breath, I bravely stepped out of the crate. He looked at me, a sick smile still plastered on his face.

"Great to see you again, Lottie."

I jolted out of bed, flipping my light switch on. Small beads of sweat and tears rolled down my face. I quickly wiped the droplets away, sniffling my nose. I haven't had that dream in years!

Throwing my covers off of me, I carefully placed my feet on the cold floor. I stumbled my way over to the light switch, roughly flipping it on. Glancing in my full sized mirror, I sobbed at my appearance. My clothes clung to me like a second skin, while my hair was a ruffled mess on top of my head. The makeup I had forgot to take off last night was smeared on my teary face; my mascara pooling below my eyes. Chill bumps covered my body. I looked like death.

I decided to go to the gym downstairs. Clearing my mind was going to be almost impossible, but I had to at least try. My grey dry fit was thrown over my head and pulled down my body. I also threw on some black leggings and mint Nike free runs. Opening my door, I walked out of my apartment and down the hall, wide eyed.

The gym was empty. When I turned on the lights they flickered for a moment, before settling to their yellow hue. A loud sigh escaped my dry mouth as I stepped onto a treadmill. Pushing the big green button, it stirred before I paced it on a slow jog. My worrisome thoughts slowly slipped from my mind the faster I ran. Soon, I was sprinting as fast as I was in my dream. My feet thudded against the treadmill, slightly shaking it.

A door opened behind me, the sound causing me to slip. My face stung as it hit the ground, while the treadmill slung me backward. I laid on the floor for a moment, completely stunned and in pain.

"Are you okay?!" A voice from behind me worriedly spoke. I felt a hand strongly grip my arm, pulling me up to sit on my butt. My vision blurred, finally focusing on the boy in front of me. He looked around nineteen, and was quite chubby, which was confusing since he's currently in a gym. His brown hair shagged over his forehead in a cute, boyish way. He had pale green eyes that held a ton of humor in them.