Chivalry is as Dead as My First Goldfish

The above photo is Ethan Price. Isn't he just one fine specimen ^^

All Rights Reserved

Copy Right 2014

Chapter 4:

We decided to walk instead of taking a cab. I have always been cautious of pollution, don't ask why because not even I know, so taking a cab when I could just as easily walk was unnecessary . That, and Mr. Price complained about the unbearable smell that most often cabs carried with them, which he followed with another comment, and I quote, 'They are just glorified burglars driving crappy automobiles who demand too much damn money.' I scolded him, but it was to no avail.

Once we arrived at Panera, he kindly opened the door for me. I guess chivalry isn't dead after all! He then proceeded in front of me, slamming the door in my face. My nose rammed into the glass pane, shooting a small amount of pain up the bridge of it. Well, I definitely spoke too soon. Chivalry is about as dead as my first goldfish that I won at the fair.

My mother always taught me to never go with a man who won't open the door for you so, like any girl would do, I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, he realized I wasn't following after him and he came to open the door for me. My hand was placed on my hip and my eyebrows were raised. Mr. Price opened the door, and dramatically motioned for me to continue forward.

"How thoughtful of you, kind Sir."

"What kind of a man would I be if I didn't open the door for a lady?"

"The kind standing in front of me," I joked with him. It was nice to be so comfortable around him. I've only known him for a few days, yet he isn't as stuck up as I imagined my high paying clients would be.

We both ordered our food and sat down at a table. "So how about a game of twenty questions?" A smirk fell over his handsome face, and his eyes twinkled with mischief.

"What are we? Sixth graders?" I bantered back at him. A low chuckle tumbled out of his mouth while he slowly shook his head. "I'll go first?" I asked him, giving in to his suggestion. He nodded in agreement with me.

"Why did you want to become a model?" This question was just an icebreaker. He needs to warm up to me before I can get any real answers out of him. Although, I feel if I asked any question he would honestly answer it.

"Every other job seemed boring. Granted, being in the spotlight all the time can be a hassle, but I'd rather keep up with it than own a McDonalds." He shrugged his shoulders. "How about you? Whats the reason behind your job?"

I spread a little cream cheese on my bagel before replying. "Ever since I was little I loved to make clothes. My mom said that I would spend days making a piece of clothing, even if all I did was sew a button or pocket onto a shirt. She said I had an eye for what matched, what didn't, and things like that. I guess it was only fitting for me to pursue a career in fashion. It just all seems so much more real with my recent employment at Vogue and having you as my client, Mr. Price. " I explained, followed by a bite into my delicious bagel. He only nodded in reply as he ate his sandwich.

After he swallowed, he proceeded to ask me his next question. "You can just call me Ethan." He told me. "Age and favorite color?" A boyish grin was set upon his face as he laughed.

I playfully rolled my eyes at him before answering. "Twenty three and gold. Yeah, it's not so common but I guess that's why I like it. And it sparkles so..." I trail off, not knowing why I was rambling on over something as minuscule as my favorite color. Maybe it was the way his light grey eyes were fixed upon me, or that I was just really hungry, but my stomach started to feel weird. It was a good feeling, not like the kind I get when I consume shellfish and have an allergic reaction. Light and fluttery are the only words I can think of to describe the sensation. Butterflies maybe? No, this is just my client. Strictly business.

"What do your parents do for a living?" I try to cover up my short lapse of coherent thoughts. Mr. Price- Ethan's body visibly tenses, and his jaw tightens. I think I hit a rough patch.

"My dad owns a bank. My mother... she," he clears his throat, "She passed away when I was fourteen. Cancer."

My hand flies to my mouth and guilt rushes over my body. "I'm honestly so sorry Ethan! I would never have brought this up." I say in a haste, dropping my hand and grabbing his own in a comforting way.

"It's fine, really. It's been nine years. I'm alright." His tone betrays him, but I let it slide. A few seconds go by and he glances down at our joined hands on the table. Embarrassed, I pull my hand away and place it in my lap. I can't tell what the emotion playing on his face is, but it seems to be a mix of sadness and amusement. We continue our conversation, choosing to forget my question altogether.

The rest of our lunch break was filled with random inquiries while we ate our food. I learned that his favorite color is red, he used to play basketball but broke his left ankle and quit, he was fat in middle school but toned up in high school, he once worked at Zaxby's but got fired for intentionally putting hair into a sandwich, he has crashed three cars so far, and he plans to settle down at around 25 or later and have three children. I didn't tell him much about myself. Having another person pity me for my past was not my top priority.

After we were both satisfied, we stood up and threw away our trash. We then walked out of Panera, and into the busy streets of New York.

"Well, I have to go buy a few things for my office before heading back. I enjoyed having lunch today, though." I smiled at him, the wind whipping my hair around.

"Me too. Well definitely have to do this again. See you in a few days, Lottie." He smirked at the nickname he knew I despised before sauntering off towards Vogue. I physically cringed at the name, before turning and walking in the opposite direction. Grabbing my supplies list from my purse, I looked over the list:

1. A clock

2. Frames

3. Plants

Hello, loves. wow. this literally is the crappiest chapter and I'm so sorry! I'll just have to make the next one extra long. I've had quite a few tests and quizzes this week so I haven't had a lot of time to focus on this book. I know it's still boring, but hold on!! It should get better!! Thanks so much for reading!

-Roe grace