There Are Also Other Fishermen In the Sea

Aww, young Josh(:

All Rights Reserved

Copy Right 2015

Chapter 20:

The cold wind nipped at my skin as I strolled to my favorite coffee shop. Light rain drizzled down on me, dampening my hair. The sky was a dark, ominous color; creating a foreboding feeling deep in my gut. My feet tapped the icy cement as I hustled through crowds to reach my destination.

Ethan, Jessica, and I had come back from Tennessee a week ago. Not much was spoken between my parents and I before I left. My dad hugged me, but my mother only said goodbye in a clipped tone, followed by a curt nod. We didn't even have a Thanksgiving Dinner. On the trip back there was definitely tension. No one mentioned what had happened, for no one wanted to bring back the daunting memories. When the plane landed, we all parted ways.

Ethan had been unusually cold towards me. I wasn't even granted a hug goodbye. It's understandable, though. With him being kidnapped there was sure to be a few alterations in our friendship. That didn't mean I wasn't bothered by it.

"Well, if it isn't Ms. Charlotte Gray," A familiar voice joked. My face split into a smile at the sound of John's teasing voice. I walked over to the counter of the coffee shop, leaning in to give him a hug. "How've you been?" He smiled.

"I've been great," I smiled back. He obviously could tell that I wasn't great. With a disapproving look, he began to make my regular. "Maybe we could talk about it over coffee?" I offered. He seemed to perk up at this idea.

"Let me just finish this up," John drizzled a small amount of caramel on top of the whipped cream. Handing me the cup, he untied his apron and jumped over the counter. John wiped his hands on his jeans before pulling out a chair for me.

"Such a gentleman," I teased. A goofy smirk still covered his face.

"If I wasn't, who would be?" He planted himself in the seat adjacent to me. Rolling the pad of my index finger around the cup's rim, I thought about what he said. It was true. He seemed to currently be the only gentleman in my life. My dad was almost always a jerk. Sure, Ethan was chivalrous at sometimes. Lately, however, Ethan had been distant and not as gentlemanly. I guess that should be expected, considering the circumstances. That didn't change the fact that it hurt my feelings.

"So how are you, really?" John brought me back from my thoughts. Finishing my sip of coffee, I wiped my mouth with a napkin and leaned back into the Woden chair.

"Honestly, I haven't been doing so well. It all started a while ago," I paused. Did I really want to tell another person about my past? No, I didn't. I couldn't take it if John pitied me. "More like this week." I half lied. It wasn't completely lying, just dodging the truth.

"Oh yeah! How was the trip to Tennessee? I'm guessing not so great, huh?" John sipped his own coffee. Scoffing, I shook my head.

"That's putting it nicely. My mother made Ethan and I go to a stupid ball where she tried to show off her money that she doesn't even possess. Completely hypocritical, if you ask me. She was always the one to say money couldn't buy happiness or friends. Look what she's trying to do now." Throughout my whole rant, John kept nodding along and listening. It was unusual to me; someone actually was listening and understanding.

Ethan understood you.

Ethan also hasn't spoke to me since his trip to the hospital.

He's been busy.

He's ignoring me.

"Wait," John interrupted me,"Ethan Price? As in, the male model?" Blushing, I quietly nodded my head.