𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

"What was that all about?" I asked after we took off down the dirt road. "What happened?"

"He can't change the date of the ball, but he'll help us take down the Valentinos."

"What? I don't understand?"

"Tobias has reason to believe that Julian is working with the Valentinos, so I had to act like we weren't welcomed any longer."

That would explain why Mary was so on edge around Julian.

I frowned.

"This is going to be big, isn't it."

"They've chosen to cross the Arlington family and the De Luca family, two of the biggest mafia's in the world. This is definitely going to impact the underground world."

There was silence as we both drifted off into out own thoughts. Mine drifting onto the mafia king, Tobias Arlington. He wasn't what I expected.

From the small house instead of a castle like home, to his unkept appearance. Well, considering that his lover was taken from him, he was doing quite well.

It made me sad, looking at his red eyes and the dark circles under them. Who ever Angelica was, she was lucky to have someone like him. Who would never give up trying to find her, never move on.

I looked at Elias. If I went missing would he look the same? Would he care that much?

"His girlfriend was taken, you know."

He nodded, not looking away from the road ahead.

"Was it by the Valentino's?"

"Most probably."

"W-what do you think they've done to her?"

He sighed, slowing to a stop as we came to a red light, bowing his head.

"Honestly, I don't know. But I pray that she'll be alright."

"They slipped under his nose and took her from him... What if–"

"No," he snapped cutting me off, "it won't happen to you, I promise I won't let it happen."

I sighed and nodded, closing my eyes as I thought of the promise I made with Elias, to bury me some place nice in Italy. A cliff with long strands of grass, blowing in the salt scented wind, over looking the deep blue sea, big clouds slowly moving over head.

Elias's hand on my thigh brought me back to reality, his thumb moving in slow circles.

"Everything will be okay," he reassured.

"We can only hope."

•••

I groaned, slumping on the hotel bed. Elias sat down much more gracefully than I, removing his suit jacket.

"Do you have a plan?"

He nodded.

"Somewhat, yes. With how everything is playing out you don't have to be the key to their defeat."

I paused.

"Does that mean, you don't need me anymore?"

He turned his head over his shoulder.

"Not for business, no."

I sat up, more serious than I was a second ago.

"So, what?"

"I... Just need you. Here. With me."

His words sent a shiver down my spine. I turned my head away from his burning eyes.

"Good, because I don't think I could say goodbye to Vanessa and the kids."

"Grace."

The seriousness, yet the vulnerability in his voice was what made me turn face him.

"What's wrong?"

"Are we going to talk?"

About Lucus.

I sighed, kicking off my shoes before I laid on my side.

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything," he said, laying in the same position as me, staring into my eyes. I turned my back to him, I don't think I could say any of it if I were looking at his face.

With a deep exhale of air, I started from the beginning, telling him every detail of abuse I had gone through, right up until the end when I could take no more. Stabbing him, everywhere I could.

By the end of it, I was wrapped up in his arms. Silently sobbing as he held me tight.

"Im so sorry mi amore, I'm so, so sorry."

I tightened my hold on our entangled hands, bringing them up to my lips.

"I know you may not want to hear this and it may not be the best time but I–"

Bang.

I jolted upright as glass shattered. The window, it was in pieces. The bang. The loud deafening noise, it could only be resembled to that of a gun shot.

Elias pushed me over the edge of the bed, following closely behind me. I looked a him with wide eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked, recalling him shouting out moments after the shot went off. My eyes trailed down to his leg, where his hand clutched it, blood seeping between his fingers.

"Holy shit!"

"Im alright, I'm alright, I just need you to stay calm."

I jumped as there was another shot, landing in the wall above the safety that the bed provided. I tore some of his shirt before straddling him, with my arse facing his face. I quickly wrapped the torn piece of cloth around the wound, cutting off the blood.

That's what they did in the movies wasn't it?

Slap.

I snapped my head over my shoulder to Elias, glaring at him like never before.

"Did you just fucking spank my arse!"

"You were practically asking for it mi amore. Hmm, you look equally sexy down here."

"We're in a middle of a shoot out, your leg is bleeding and you've got your head stuck in the gutter!"

He grabbed my arse, squeezing it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it. But not right now. I swatted his hand away.

"Elias! We're going to die!" I exclaimed, turning around to face him, still straddling him.

He pulled me down, impossibly close to his chest.

"We aren't going to die mi amore, just watch."