Chapter 56: The Puppetmaster

Havi's pov

A few minutes after being caught snooping, we all sat around the table while Hama served us something close to a southern water tribe meal, "Who wants five flavor soup?" Everyone very excitedly raised their hands high. The old woman then bends the soup into all five of our bowls.

"You're a waterbender," Katara gushed, "I've never met another waterbender from our tribe."

"That's because the fire nation wiped them all out. I was the last one," Hama admitted sadly, her tone immediately shifting.

Sokka asks, "So, how did you end up out here?"

"I was stolen from my home. It was over 60 years ago when the raids started. They came again and again. Each time, rounding up more of our waterbenders and taking them captive. We did our best to hold them off but our numbers dwindled as the raids continued. Finally, I too was captured," Anguish was strong in her voice as Katara moved to comfort her, "I was led away in chains. The last waterbender of the southern water tribe. They put us in terrible prisons here in the fire nation. I was the only one who managed to escape."

"How did you get away? And why did you stay in the fire nation?"

"I'm sorry. It's too painful to talk about anymore."

"We completely understand," Katara consoles, "We lost our mother in a raid."

Hama pats her hand, "Oh, you poor things."

"I can't tell you what it means to meet you. It's an honor, you're a hero."

"I never thought I'd meet another southern waterbender. I'd like to teach you what I know so you can carry on the southern tradition when I'm gone," the old lady proclaimed.

"Yes! Yes, of course. To learn about my heritage, it would mean everything to me," Katara bows gratefully but I just squint my eyes at their exchange from afar.

• • •

The next day, Aang, Sokka, Toph, and I were exploring to find what might be angering the spirits while Katara went training with Hama.

Eventually we made our way to a trail that overlooked a gorgeous field with rivers, trees, and cliffs. The air was clean and the sound of birds chirping surrounded us. Although the sight should be calming, a heaviness still pulled on my shoulders, making it hard to breathe. "This has got to be the nicest, natural setting in the fire nation," Aang says, "I don't see anything that would make a spirit mad around here."

"Maybe the moon spirit just turned mean," Toph suggested but  it quickly made Sokka's temper rise.

"The moon spirit is a gentle, loving lady. She rules the sky with compassion and lunar goodness," he snapped. If it were a few weeks ago that would've probably hurt to hear, but I know that what happened with Yue really affected Sokka. Who am I to judge what he's done and mourns from before we were together?

"Excuse me, sir," Aang stops a man walking by, "Can you tell us anything about the spirit that's been stealing people?"

He gives us a questioning look before seeming to think on an answer, "only one man ever saw it and lived and that's old man Ding."

Toph grabs his shoulder, "where does old man Ding live?"

He gives us detailed instructions on how to find the man's home. We give him our thanks and head towards the next destination, but not before I have a last peak to see the golden sunset disappearing over the meadow. I hoped to enjoy it but the lingering feeling of dread still pooled in my stomach.