Chapter 23: The Avatar State

Okay this will either be good or cringey but that's the fun of reading fanfics amirite? Lol

Havi's pov

After the long day, we all head back to our room, or at least, Sokka and I head back. Katara went after Aang to spirits know where. I sit down on my bed and can feel immediate relief to the tight pain in my stomach. More recently, it feels less sharp and more like I'm just very sore from running a marathon or something. Still, even that's better than what it was.

I look up and see Sokka staring at me inquisitively, "What?"

He hums, "I just wish I knew what was going on in your head sometimes." I purse my lips, was that meant to be deep or am I just emotionally unstable?

"Oh," I answered dryly. At the moment, I don't really wanna talk about it, let alone with one of the people I would likely need to rant about. "Let's just," I pause, "Sleep." Quickly, I lay down and close my eyes to avoid any more chatting. That boy is getting too close to breaking my boundaries.

A cave and a dark one at that. All light was completely blocked out and I had to depend mostly on my other senses. The rocks are smooth and chilling under my feet, which is nice, but the ceiling could be higher. I had to crouch down just to get through. There were multiple turns, twists, and routes to take as I crawled on but my body just told me where to go, as if it already knew the proper path.

Towards the end of this seemingly endless tunnel, I spot a small light shining in so I follow it. An opening revealed itself. I step out and was once again led to the same ice surrounded, grassy island.

"You could've saved him."

I snap my head around to look for the penetrative voice but no one was there.

"You weren't strong enough then, you aren't strong enough now, and you never will be."

"Who are you?" I call out while taking laggard steps, like walking through putty, "Where are you?"

Even when spinning in circles repetitively, there's no one. Not a single person present. I huff and feel a sudden magnetization to the pond. After a quick check over my shoulder, I go to it, the water unmoving. It looks, empty? Putting my toes on the edge, I creep close enough to see my reflection show. I gasp verbally and almost get knocked over by the sight. I was covered in blood.

I tumble over my feet to get away and look down at myself as my clothes once again become stained with red. The dark substance leaking through my shirt. "No! B-but I got rid of my knife! This was supposed to be over!" I panic while wiping off what I could.

"This isn't something you can just get rid of," the shrill noise plays loud in my ears, "This was your fault alone. You should have known better."

"Why are you doing this?" I start to cry, tears falling one after another, leaving hot trails in their path. As if someone had flicked my forehead, I fall backwards with my arms swinging to catch myself. I prepare for impact but my body bounced right back to my feet, like a trampoline, but this time I was translucent almost. I was outside of myself.

Gazing at my fingers, it was strange to see them so, see through. After taking a deep breath, I lick my lips and finally turn around to see what presented to me but nothing could prepare me for the sight. I look in shock, eyes wide and mouth gaped, as I find Sokka, Katara, and Yue crowding me. My body was pale, lips slightly purple. I wasn't moving. I looked utterly lifeless. "Stop this!" I demand to whoever's listening.

Sokka was panicked and held me in his arms. He was yelling at Katara who was crying and I just laid there.

I can't breathe.