Chapter 13: Bato of the Water Tribe

Havi's pov

Sokka and I slid down a hill while Aang grabbed something up from the ground, "hey, look! A sword made out of a whales tooth!"

"Let me see that," Sokka swiped it from his hands to examine it further, "this is a water tribe weapon. See if you guys can find anything else." I nod and turn to look around in some bushes. Now, one may be wondering, why aren't things awkward between those two? And the honest answer would be, we are ignoring and avoiding at all costs. Maybe it doesn't help the situation but it surely works for us.

"Did someone lose something?" Katara asked.

I turn from my bush, "No, we actually found something."

Sokka picks up an ashy spear head. "It's burnt," he says before grazing his hands over some marks on a tree, "There was a battle. Water tribe warriors ambushed a group of firebenders. The firebenders fought back but the warriors drove them down this hill." He runs off and the rest of us follow him to a small beach.

"So, then what happened?" Aang curiously asked.

"I don't know. The trail ends here."

"Wait," Katara's finger shoots to something behind us, "look!"

"It's one of our boats!" Sokka enthused. The siblings run toward it while Aang and I stay back a little, trailing behind.

"Is this dads boat?" Katara wondered.

Sokka caressed his hand along the side of it, "No, but it's from his fleet. Dad was here."

• • •

Late at night, everyone was catching up on sleep by our fire. Well, everyone except Sokka and I but I don't think he realized I was still awake. I silently observed him from my sleeping bag as he spaced out. Whenever he didn't think anyone was watching, I could see the way his eyes relaxed, dilating to adjust to the dark. Even something as small as his eyebrows being more downcast with nothing to keep his excited demeanor going. My plan was to continue stalking in secret but as a pained look washed over his face, I just had to check in on him. Sitting up I softly asked, "Hey, are you okay?"

"Havi, you're awake?" Sokka sounded surprised and I nod, "just go to sleep, I'm okay."

I huff and move from my blankets to sit by him, "it's okay to not be okay, you know. It's probably hard seeing the boat here."

"I promise I'm just fine. You don't need to stay up with me."

"Well, I want to," I stand my ground, "even if you won't admit it, I can tell something's off. We don't have to talk but I'm here for you to lean on."

We sit for a few moments before  Sokka's hand brushed down to meet mine. I give him a little squeeze as to say, I'm here for you. A loud crunching in the near distance took away from our peaceful moment. We both sprung to our feet as Sokka takes a step in front of me, shielding my body, "Who's there!"

A man who wore water tribe clothing steps closer, "Sokka?"

"Bato?" Sokka's eyes widen with delight. His speaking wakes up the last of our resting friends.

A sleepy Aang rubbed his head, "Who the what now?"

"Bato!" Katara said when realizing who'd joined us.

Both siblings ran in for a hug with the man, "Sokka! Katara! It is so good to see you two. You've grown so much."

"Hi, I'm Aang," The airbender tried to introduce and I followed his lead.

"And I'm Havi." But they kind of ignored us.

"Where's dad?"

"Is he here?" The brother, sister duo get right to business, I guess.